Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Sam Bensley Skipper RNR?

Donny Anderson

Can any one help with any info on a Sam Bensley. Family history has him as a Skipper RNR. Any help appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Donny

Hi Donny,

From the Dec. 1918 Navy List:-

W.S.A. 330 Samuel G. Bensley, Skipper R.N.R., sen. 28/8/14. Appointed Skipper of CUCKOO September 1917.

Cheers,

ARABIS.

Hello Donny,

CUCKOO’s details:

S.T. CUCKOO H.309. 156 g.t. L. 103.5’, B. 20.9’ Engine C.D. Holmes, 50 NHP, Reg’d Speed 10 knots

Launched 30/01/1896, Registered 19/02/1896. Built for John McCann, Hull.

03/12/97 Sold to Yorkshire Steam Fishing Co, Hull.

1914 Req’nd by Royal Navy as a minesweeper (1- 6pdr), Pennent No. FY. 338.

Renamed NIGHTJAR 1918.

1919, returned and reverted.

1923, Sold to Spainish Co. Renamed PUNTA ASAMOR.

1946, wrecked off San Esteban, Pravia in dense fog.

Cheers, Terry

Microfiche copies of his service card should be held at Kew in BT 377/7 and the originals are at the Fleet Air Arm Museum.

per ardua per ma...

When I asked for a captain's records from FAAM I was told they only had ratings' records.

Kath.

Kath,

The best person to answer this is Horatio2, but i think that Skippers were regarded as warrant officers and at Kew their records are in the microfiches along with the ratings. So I admit to assuming the FAAM would do the same.

Their site says

ROYAL NAVAL RESERVE

· Record cards for RNR officers: Executive (X); Engineers (E); Cadets; Warrant Officer Telegraphists.

· Record cards for most RNR rating categories.

http://www.fleetairarm.com/pages/research/archivep1.htm

So not clear.

per ardua per ma...

I've found the email from Feb.2006:

"Unfortunately we only hold the records for RNR ratings and not for officers.

As far as I am aware RNR officers service records are available at The National Archives (www.nationalarchives.gov.uk) in ADM 240.

I am sorry that we are unable to help to you.

Yours sincerely,

Jan Keohane(Mrs)

Archivist"

:blink:

Kath.

Kath,

Bensley has a WSA service prefix and at Kew the microfiche of his service cards would be in BT 377/7 and in the past those have been revealed to be at the FAAM. Does the man that you are researching have a service number?

Commissioned officers (Midshipman and above) records are ADM 240 and ADM 340(released since your email).

I hesitate to join the egg suckers teaching fraternity, but 'captain' is the honourific for a master aboard his ship. Otoh to someone dealing with records using the term captain would imply the naval rank and those records will be in ADM 240.

Hope that helps

per mare

Donny,

I have looked into your unsuccessful approach to the FAAM in early 2006.

I am glad to say that the FAAM does indeed have some papers for Skipper Samuel George Bensley. I do not know what question you asked them two years ago but they were quite correct to say that the FAAM does NOT hold service records for RNR officers. However, in the intervening time much more research has been done on the FAAMs vast holdings of records. Bensley's papers include a short entry in the RNR Officers' pay and appointing ledgers (showing an address at 62 Menzies Road, Aberdeen and demob 6/4/1919). They also have his RNR Ratings Record Card, held under service number WSA330. The index ledger shows his birth as 1872 at Great Yarmouth. From this you will see that the RNR Skippers were strange creatures who have material in both ratings and officers records.

You should contact the FAAM again (Mrs Keohane) if you wish to obtain copies of these records.

Haratio2,

Many many thanks for that, I had forgotten I had contacted the FAAM about Bensley. I will fire off a request later on this week.

Do I make my donation payable to the Fleet Air Arm Museum in general or is there a specific account?

Thanks again,

Donny

Haratio2,

Many many thanks for that, I had forgotten I had contacted the FAAM about Bensley. I will fire off a request later on this week.

Do I make my donation payable to the Fleet Air Arm Museum in general or is there a specific account?

Thanks again,

Donny

You should speak to them on this matter. On reviewing these posts, I see I have conflated your query with Kath's #6 and #8. Apologies.