Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Syria 1919

Greenwoodman

I am researching the following, but can't find 'owt amongst my library for the occupation of Syria in 1919.

HOUGHTON, Tom Whitfield, 2nd Lt., died on active service, Monday, 21/04/19, age 22, Machine Gun Corps (Motors). Son of John and Ada Houghton, of Marsh Green, Elworth, Sandbach, Cheshire. Assistant Schoolmaster at Seaman's Moss Endowed School Altrincham. “Farewell and gratitude. The world does not end tonight and the fruit that we shall pick tomorrow await us, weighing the unstripped bough.” Charles Tomlinson. Sandbach School 1909-1913. Buried Damascus Commonwealth War Cemetery, Syria, grave B. 63. (Soldiers Died reports date of death 21/04/17).

Could anyone suggest where I could read up about Syria 1919 please?

Richard,

The basic problem seems to have been that while the allies had already divided up the spoils some time/years earlier with agreements such as Sykes-Picot et al, when the battle was eventually won on the ground, the French had very few troops in the area to occupy the territory which they now claimed as theirs

The British were in that country holding the fort so to speak, until the French could muster enough troops of their own to occupy the place.

There was also the little matter of the future borders between the various occupied territories (French v British) which dispute held things up for some time also.

See Wilson to Allenby dated shortly after your man died

"Telegram

SECRET

538. May 22nd [1919]

The question of the future of Syria is now being discussed but it seems possible that no final decision may be reached for some little time. That being so you will remain as heretofore the only military judge and adviser as to the number of troops and the only military authority as to the distribution of troops. Do you wish any more troops sent out? I am sending a copy of this telegram to monsieur Clemenceau."

The Syrian Arabs were very unhappy at the prospect of French rule, having expected (and in some cases fought for) independence after the Ottoman Turks left and they continued to show their unhappiness for several years after. Parts of Damascus were bombarded by the French in (October?) 1925. The Library of Congress has photographs of ruined areas, French machine-guns behind barricades etc. But that's another story

"SYRIA 1919

Although France was awarded a mandate to govern the former Ottoman territories of Syria and Lebanon, Britain maintained troops in the area until the French were in a position to take control.

Gloucestershire Hussars

Sherwood Rangers

Worcestershire Yeomanry

4 Royal Norfolk

5 Royal Norfolk

4 Bedfordshire

2 Leicestershire

Indian Army-

2, 18, 19, 36 Cavalry, 2 Guides Infantry"

from http://orbat.com/site/history/historical/uk/ops1919-39.html

It seems that MGC should be added to this list

the following sites may also be useful

http://www.worldstatesmen.org/Syria.html#French-mandate

http://countrystudies.us/syria/8.htm

http://countrystudies.us/syria/9.htm

http://www.pbs.org/newshour/indepth_covera...ia/history.html

regards

Michael

reading on [from 'Allenby in Palestine - the middle east correspondence of Field Marshal Viscount Allenby' ed. Matthew Hughes]

like the good soldier he was, Allenby became very frustrated at all the post war maneuvers by the politicians, in London & Paris, to divide the spoils

Allenby to Wilson

"3 June 1919

I am sorry that you are cutting Syria into French and British areas. I am convinced that acute trouble will follow. Feisal is absolutely determined not to have any French control, and is bitterly opposed to a division of Syria. I have pointed out all this, in letters and telegrams. It looks to me as if you are reviving the Sykes-Picot agreement, in its worst form; and settling the future of Syria without reference to the will or wishes of the inhabitants. It will make no difference to the Arabs whether you settle on your line of demarcation or Tardieu's. The Arabs will accept neither line. Much better let the French have all Syria, and do their own fighting, than act as cats paw to them."

I should have gone back just a little further

the definitive answer seems to appear in

Letter – Typescript – Dictated

Wilson to Allenby

"22 May 1919

SECRET AND PERSONAL

[the first para is Whitehall Warfare at its very best as Wilson confides to Allenby that he thinks their telegrams are tapped! The second para however is of interest here]

Now the position we have reached as regards Syria is this. We have had two rather hectic meetings between the French and ourselves, President Wilson being also present, but no Italians. About a week ago the Prime Minister nominated me to discuss with M. Tardieu, who had been nominated by M. Clemenceau, the relief of British troops by French in Syria. I at once decided that it was impossible to carry out such a relief until the frontier line had been established between the French area and our own............................."

Re:HOUGHTON, Tom Whitfield, 2nd Lt

Do you have anything more on him?

Dates of Service, Units (other than MGC), which MGC Sqn?

Meanwhile I will search the RGH Data-base!

Good luck.......

That's it I'm afraid. There appear to be two HOUGHTON, T s in the CATALOGUE (formerly PROCAT), but not had chance to see them yet.

quote: Could anyone suggest where I could read up about Syria 1919 please

There's not much in the OH but have a look at pages 622/3

- procrastination by the retiring Turks (both those from this theatre and those crossing it on their way home from Mespot)

- problems with the Armenian battalions of the French Legion d'Orient

Was your chap Killed, died of wounds, or of sickness? There was a lot of the latter at this time

regards

Michael

"Died on Active Service " comes from his parents' headstone. I would assume that plus the date would indicate "died", presumably of sickness. But no proof either way.

Have you had a look at

this medal card? Perhaps it adds something

Houghton, Tom Whitfield

Machine Gun Corps 31631 Corporal

Machine Gun Corps Second Lieutenant

regards

Michael

9th Hodson's Horse should also be added.

Very many thanks MichaelDR. Thanks for putting the link up as well, as I tried via the MIC search form with no result.

I've downloaded the card and it shows that he entered Western Europe on 19/07/16. He was commissioned in the MGC 22/05/17, and "died" 21/04/19. The card also appears to have a date of 21/02/23 listed between two file references. Perhaps the date medals were applied for/sent.

And 9th Hodson's Horse? I take it as an addition to the OOB?

That is right. I have a 1914 Star group. and copied some extracys from the regimental history. They were certainly in Lebanon.