Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

The battle of Broodseinde, 4 October 1917

dntetlow

Can anyone confirm for me (or otherwise) whether the 1st Bn, Devonshires were involved in the action at the battle of Broodseinde, 4 October 1917?

Many thanks

David

Yes they were. 1st Devons were one of the four attacking battalions of 5th Div on 4th October (5th Divisional History has a typo in it that says 4th Septembet, but the text confirms it was 4th October in a later paragraph).

The 1st devons as part of 95th brigade, 5th Div, X Corps, Second Army did take part in Broodseinde on 4th October 1917.

They Div was near the Menin Road facing Gheluvelt. I think the 95th brigade were in reserve, so not sure when they moved forward. It was on the extreme right of the battle.

They did lose 6 officers though which would point to a heavy engagement at some stage

Steve M

There're two and a half pages dedicated solely to the 1/Devons on 4th October in the Devonshire Regiment's history by Atkinson if it's of any help.

Dave.

...in anticipation of the next question...

post-357-1204290656.jpg

Stanley John Williams, the grandfather of a former neighbour of mine, was one of the 1st Bn casualties that day.

Dave has already posted the key pages from the regimental history. The War Diary has the following (Note: the map references refer to Gheluvelt map sheet 1/10,000):

At 6am Battalion advanced to attack the enemy's positions, the final objective being a line J.17.a.3.3. to J.17.c.1.6.

The final objective was reached by left Coy and a portion of the right Coy but owing to heavy rifle and M.G. fire from a strong point to the right (POLDERHOEK CHATEAU) were forced to fall back on a line J.16.a.5.1. to J.16.o.7.5. Which line was consolidated during the afternoon and evening. Connection was established with 1st Battn D.C.L.I. on the left and 2nd Battn K.O.S.B. on the right.

At about 6pm the enemy were seen to be advancing for a counter attack up the valley of the REUTEL BEEK, east of CHATEAU WOOD. Our advanced troops put up the S.O.S. signal, which was repeated by Battn H.Q. and the artillery opened fire in 2 minutes, the enemy failed to reach our positions.

Early in the operations No's 1 and 2 Coys reinforced No's 3 and 4 Coys. Several casualties were inflicted on the enemy during above operations.

Killed: 2/Lt W.S. Langworthy, 2/Lt J.M. Blake, 2/Lt S.G. Rogers, 2/Lt P.J.W. Studholme, and 52 other ranks.

Wounded: Major W.F. Ball, 2/Lt H.B. Wheeler, 2/Lt F. Small, 2/Lt F.G. Hanwood, 2/Lt R.G. Coates, and 189 other ranks.

Wounded and missing: 2/Lt F.W. Chick, 2/Lt W.G. Pack and 50 other ranks.

Wounded and doing duty: 8 other ranks

A map is attached (please contact me if you want a full size copy).

Neil

post-719-1204299129.jpg

Thanks guys - couldn't have asked for more. The detail is much appreciated.

David