Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

VAD Address

Clive Temple

I have a series of letters written to a nurse at this address...

It appears to read as follows...

No. 24 General Hospital

A.P.O. - S11

BEF

France

Can anyone add any flesh to the bones of this address? Any idea where it was or any other info?

Also are there any good VAD web sites where I could find further details about the hospital or the nurse (I have her full name)?

Clive

24 General was at Etaples. The site, now part of a modern housing estate, can be found at the junction of Avenue du Blanc Pave and the main Etaples - Camiers road where all the hospitals were located. It was immediately south of the modern gendarmerie. APO S11 was the post office which serviced the hospitals along the Camiers - Etaples Road. It was located immediately opposite 24 General, on western side the above mentioned junction. The site is now a garden centre.

http://tinyurl.com/29xnra

If you zoom in on the link above until you find Avenue du Blanc Parve, you will see the location.

Terry Reeves

Clive

24 General Hospital was where Vera Brittain worked during her time in France, and there is considerable description of it in her book 'Testament of Youth.' Below is the site of the hospital today - not very inspiring, but underneath that land a lot was going on ninety years ago :rolleyes:

Sue

Also are there any good VAD web sites where I could find further details about the hospital or the nurse (I have her full name)?

Clive

If you contact the British Red Cross - link below - there is a good chance they will hold a service record for her (assuming she was a VAD and not a trained nurse).

British Red Cross personnel records

Sue

Hi Terry and Sue,

Was this the No24 General Hospital opposite No7 Canadian Hospital, which was next to No51 General Officers Hospital which was next to No56 General Hospital, and opposite No6 Convalescent Camp?!

Alie.

Big tut Terry! I was just going to moan at you, when I spotted it on the corner of my oh so well laid out map... laid out... by you!! Which reminds me... do you fancy another weekend away...

Alie.