Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

CWGC Website Maintenance

Peter Bennett

I was not quite sure which thread to use, but is everyone aware that the CWGC website will be down at the weekend.

Website Maintenance

The CWGC website will be down during the weekend of 1st and 2nd March 2008 for essential maintenance when it will be moved to a more efficient server. We apologise for the inconvenience this will cause but will do all we can to ensure normal service is resumed as soon as possible.

Gonna be a lot of frustrated chaps at the weekend, unable to get their "fix"

Grant

Gonna be a lot of frustrated chaps at the weekend, unable to get their "fix"

Grant

You & Me Both !

Good job it is Mother's Day, I shall be helping pamper Wife & Daughter........................

Mothers Day !!!!

Don't panic !!!

Why don't they advertise these things, instead of spring them on us at the last minute ?

Grant

(looking for a 24hr garage)

Why don't they advertise these things, instead of spring them on us at the last minute ?

I take it you are referring to the CWGC Website closure and not Mother's Day !

Geoff's search engine depends on a fixed copy of the list of names and not the live database as you get on the CWGC website. That is why the CWGC site is up to date and Geoff's engine is not as it is fixed on a specific copy of the information obtained some time ago.

You will still be able to use Geoff's engine to produce lists but the links to the CWGC site will not work.

Once the CWGC database is moved to the new server, Geoff's links will work again assuming the web addresses do not change.

Geoff's search engine depends on a fixed copy

What is Geoff's Search Engine? Sound's like Marc Leroux's program for the CEF records?

Fantastic! Had never heard of it before. I had asked CWGC about the concept of searching by number some time ago and I got the "not interested" reply, so for me this is a great find.

I do not think our CEFSG members over here in the colony are aware of this either, so unless this is a "secret" I will let them know.

Thanks very much,

Richard

Richard

Another excellent feature of it especially for those researching towns and villages is the ability to put a place name (house, street, town or county etc ) in the 'including' bit and it searches for those in the additional information part of CWGC (parents details etc)

Hywyn

Guest geoff501
I do not think our CEFSG members over here in the colony are aware of this either, so unless this is a "secret" I will let them know.

Richard,

It's a big secret. But please note that the Canadian index is not yet complete, only about 50% of records are in the search engine. (for UK it is about 100% of what I have). My update on this is overdue but will be done soon.

If CWGC change their system, you will be able to find me on any stamp collectors forum :o

geoff

Maybe the CWGC upgrade is all a subterfuge, Geoff, and they are doing it because of you.. you know, just swap all the casualty id's around a bit ;)

Martin