Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

12th Coy, D Bn MGC -Tanks at Battle of Arras

delta

Grateful for help in locating deployment and actions of Maj ROC Ward's company during the opening stages of the Batlle of Arras (i.e. Apr 1917)

Have ckecked my books but can't find them?

S

Found some references after all; two sections were deployed in sp of the Cdn assualt at Vimy Ridge. all got bogged in whilst crossing the groudn between Neuville St Vaast and their objectives, Can't find out whether a third section was deployed elsewhere, can any one advise

Stephen

Stephen, 12 Coy. of D Bn. appears to have had only 2 sections of 4 tanks (No. IX and X). The war diary does not mention a third section in this company. The same eight tanks appear to have been used in the company's operations at Vimy on 9/4/17 and 2nd Bullecourt on 3/5/17. Both 10 Coy. and 11 Coy. appear to have started the battle with 12 tanks each. I suspect that the smaller size of 12 Coy. was the result of the limited number of tanks (60) which were available to apportion between C and D Battalions.

Gerald - many thanks for the information. That help me track several of the original D Company men, at Flers, to the Arras and Bullecourt actions

Stephen