Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

William Batterson 1/1st Bucks Bn OBLI

Ravrick

Hi, I am trying to research 1198 Pte William Batterson 1/1st Bn Oxfordshire and Buckinghamshire Light Infantry, I have obtained his MIC, but short of that does anybody know if a book exsists for the Battalion, where they served, or is there a copy of the war diary on line etc

Any help appreicated.

Thanks, Rick

Rick,

Pension records available on Ancestry. If you don't have access to Ancestry I can download for you and send by e mail. I will not be able to do this until later today, when I get home. If you need me to do this for you can you send me a pm with your details.

Regards. Llew.

British Army WWI Pension Records 1914-1920

about William Batterson

Name: William Batterson

Estimated Birth Year: abt 1894

Age at enlistment: 17

Birth Parish: Newport Pagnell

Birth County: Bucks

Document Year: 1911

Regimental Number: 1198

Number of Images: 17

Hi Rick,

The 1/1st Buckinghamshire Battalion is one of my main interests as my GGF served with them and their forebears from 1902 and I served with their more recent counterparts in the 80’s and 90’s.

The only regimental history solely for the battalion that I am aware of was written in 1920 by Captain P L Wright entitled “The First Buckinghamshire Battalion 1914-1919”

This book although now “dated” is still a very good read and a detailed account of the battalion during the Great War. Copies do still turn up although they can be costly.

I have posted extracts from this book on the forum before, if you search and can find them it will give you an indication of the books contents.

W Batterson is listed in the appendix of those who served overseas with the battalion between 1915-1919.

The battalion also has dedicated chapters in Major General Swann’s “Citizen Soldiers of Bucks” published in the 30’s although this is a more “general” history of all Bucks units.

The Ox & Bucks LI also produced "War Chronicles" with chapters for all the regiment's battalions.

If I can be of any further help please contact me and I will be happy to help where I can.

Regards

Steve

Hi Llew,

Thank you for your kind offer of William Battersons record.

Looking at the information that you have already supplied he would appear to be a pre war terrier (1911) and if still living in his birth parish of Newport Pagnall would quite probably be serving alongside my Great Grandfather in one of the Bucks Battalions Wolverton Company’s either F or G based at the LNWR Wolverton Railway Works prior to mobilisation.

My Great Grandfather served with G Company which later became D under Captain Birchall.

I have copies of my GGFs record but it would be interesting to compare notes.

I will send you a PM.

Regards

Steve