Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Flt lt G.F. Breese DSC RNAS

biggles1

Hi,

I have limited research on George Breese DSC, RNAS which has been listed below. I would appreciate any additional information that anyone can provide.

Thanks in anticipation.

D.S.C. London Gazette 1 October 1917: ‘For services on patrol duties and submarine searching in home waters.’

M.I.D. London Gazette 1 January 1919: ‘For distinguished service in the Orkneys war area.’

George Fred Breese was born on 5 September 1886 and entered the R.N.A.S., qualifying as a pilot, Aero Club pilots certificate 1003, on 19 December 1914. During the war he saw service in Dunkirk long distance patrols and submarine searching. He was promoted Flight Commander in December 1916, Squadron Commander in December 1917, and, on the foundation of the Royal Air Force in April 1918, Squadron Leader. Breese commanded No. 238 Squadron at Cattewater, 1919-20, and retired on 18 February 1931, having seen service with the Iraq Command based at Basrah from 30 October, 1923.

On the formation of the Observer Corps he joined it, and in 1938 he was the Observer Group Officer of No. 36 Group Scottish Area. For his services with the Royal Observer Corps, Breese was recommended for the M.B.E., but it came to nothing. The recommendation states: ‘This officer was the original Observer Group Officer in the Scottish Area. He has always shown exceptional devotion to duty. His tact, enthusiasm and attention to detail has brought the standard of No. 36 Group up to a very high level. The whole spirit and efficiency of this Group is of a very high order.’

There might be more details about his awards in the Admiralty files, you'll need to got through the ADM 12 indexes.

Biggles, (Oh `Sainted' name) find here DSC Award to BREESE ;

BREESE George F N/E Flt.Cdr. RNAS 85T198

H.M.S. Campania C-in-C Grand Fleet 01.10.17 Gazetted

R.N.A.S. Officers - Patrol Duties & Submarine Search 1917 DSC

He has carried out submarine patrols since June, 1915, often in misty weather and strong winds.

He has flown from the deck of a Seaplane Carrier on Fleet reconnaissance patrols in the open sea under trying circumstances.

Regards Sadsac

Hi

I had his group in early 1990's, I spent time at Yeovilton, and only obtained one photograph of him, though extensive records and photos there ,nothing else to add on him.

Still a very nice group though !!!

Regards,

Simon