Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

another one - "Wolff's Requiem"

Russell Smith

Here is another one. I also finished this one back in the fall, but I haven't actually delivered it to the owner yet.

This one is entitled Wolff's Requiem and is a depiction of the final flight of Leutnant Kurt Wolff. Wolff, a member of the famed Jasta 11 and close friend of Manfred von Richthofen, was met his death while flying Fokker F.1 102/17 on September 15, 1917. While on patrol that afternoon, Wolff, along with fellow Jasta 11 member Ltn Carl von Schoenebeck, attacked a flight of Sopwith Camels of No. 10 Squadron RNAS. The fight was brief but intense, and the odds quickly turned against the two german pilots. As Wolff singled out a Camel to attack, he was suddenly hit from behind by Flt Lt. Norman MacGregor. MacGregor fired a brief burst, and then immediately had to zoom to avoid colliding with the triplane. MacGregor’s report reads as follows:

“I got into a good position very close on one triplane - within 25 yards - and fired a good burst. I saw my tracers entering his machine. I next saw him going down in a vertical dive, apparently out of control.”

WolffsRequiemfornet-1.jpg

WolffsRequiemdetail1.jpg

Wolffdetail2.jpg

russ

Nice job Russ - good action scene.

Still reckon that the Pfaltz is such an elegant looking aircraft.

Beautifully done, Russell! All of your paintings are first class! Nice action in this one!

All the best,

Dan

• 2 weeks later...