Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Funnel Bands

dmilford

Somebody has sent me a scan of a photo of what looks like a Diadem class protected cruiser. It (she) has a single dark funnel band on each of the four funnels. Does anybody know which ship this would be?

Thanks for that. The bands are definitely not white. I've asked the chap who sent me the photo for permission to post it so if he agrees I'll do it.

Clearly a DIADEM - two 6 inch rather than one 9.2 on forecastle. The early batch had after bridges which were not built up underneath. The answer to which one it is lies in the red funnel bands. Amazingly the 1914 Janes has funnel band diagrams for just about every class apart from the DIADEMs! Still, someone is bound to have the full answer!

Best wishes,

David

By elimination of the four stacks:

DIADEM had 2 white bands, blank, blank, 2 white bands. (that's her in the background)

(photo I have)

DIDO was a depot ship and permanently tied up. NIOBE was disarmed for harbour service in October 1915.

Later type of fire control and crane shown so ARGONAUT, ARIADNE, AMPHIRITE as early types are out.

Leaving NIOBE or EUROPA. But which one??? :huh:

Aye

Malcolm

I wonder what the date of the photo is? NIOBE to RCN from 6/9/1910; depot ship 9/1915; BU Philadelphia 1922. Absence in Canada could eliminate her from enquiry but depends on date.

Best wishes,

David