Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Roll of Honour

Jon6640

I see from CWGC site the certificate's now include photographs of the cemetery where possible. I imagine this is easier on the continent where there are CWGC owned sites, but less so in the UK for men buried in town and village municipal cemeteries. Surely the forum could help supply photo's for these smaller places of rest. I welcome Terry's view.

Jon

CWGC is not set up to obtain, edit and host thousands of pics of sites which they do not own or control. I suspect that it would be an administrative and financial burden which they would not want to undertake in the immediate future. It seems to be the policy only to include shots of their own cemeteries. However - perhaps one day.

It is for this sort of reason that they have made their alliance with the War Grave Photographic Project - so that they can provide a link in due course to another site which can provide a photograph of each headstone and an overview shot of each cemetery.

The photographs have been available on their website for several years but I have noticed that better quality pics are being substituted now and the number is increasing.

I'm not sure if I made my point in a very articulate manner and if I caused confusion I apologies. I do not mean photographs of individual graves, but the general vista of the cemetery which is now party of many of the certificates. I understand the administrational burden and the CWGC who do such a fantastic job should not be burdened I guess a bit of head scratching could come up with a solution though.

Jon

Jon

You query was perfectly clear. No problem.

The WGPP is also collecting general shots of each cemetery (as do all the other projects). The issue is, as always, that CWGC has a very limited remit and it does not include providing services for researchers or WW1 buffs like us. Everything has to be geared towards helping relatives.

We can think of many ways in which the Debit of Honour could be improved to our benefit but we must remember that we are minority users of the site. However, things will change over time. Maybe the provision of non-CWGC owned site pics will come one day. I'll enquire what the latest state of play is over this and let you know.

We can think of many ways in which the Debit of Honour could be improved to our benefit but we must remember that we are minority users of the site.

We may be "minority users" however I think it a fair statement to say that the members of this forum probably forms the largest collection of WW1 experts to be found anywhere in the UK. Our collective voice deserves to be heard by those who run the commission and decisions should be made with our views in mind (or even better our direct consultation). The "powers to be" within the commission are failing in their jobs if they don't pay enough attention to the people that pay their wages and fund 70% of their activities. I wonder how often (if ever) the senior managers of that organisation take the time to see the strength of feeling in forums like this one? If past performance is anything to go by, not very often or never is likely to be the honest answer. Probably too busy attending some poncy dinner somewhere (all expenses paid of course)! As I have stated many times - most of the groundbreaking & good work was done many years ago.... The commission has over the years become very complacent and acts as if it answers to no one (which incidently it doesn't).

Nothing will ever change for the better if we continue to keep giving them such an easy ride.... I know of no other public organisation funded by UK taxpayers that gets away with so much!

I thought I'd add that my views here do NOT apply to those members of the gardening and horticulture sections of the commission who continue to do a superb job whilst being paid very little (unlike the senior managers some of which work part-time hours for a full-time wage). The Gardeners are the true "public face" of the commission and often people form a positive impression of that organisation based upon their involvement and excellent work. If they "dug" deeper they would soon realise it aint like that!

Jon

Having checked, CWGC has informed me that they will be adding further cemetery pics including the 'one grave' sites.

There are various technical and 'artistic' issues still to be worked out but it will happen in due course. They will be taking the photos themselves - presumably as each site is inspected.