Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Airman Richard C Guthrie

grantowi

Hi Chaps,

Got this name down as one of mine from the Swindon GWR works, where he was an apprentice.

He's the only RC that I can find, and was wondering if anyone had any more info about him?

TIA

Grant

Name:GUTHRIEInitials:R CNationality:United KingdomRank:Airman 2nd ClassRegiment/Service:Royal Flying CorpsUnit Text:30th Sqdn.Date of Death:05/12/1917Service No:14489

He was buried in Baghdad, Iraq according to Airmen Died, cause of death not stated.

Patrick

Patrick,

Thanks for looking, are there any more details on him to add to the CWGC stuff ?

Grant

If the RAF wrote anything up about him it should be in AIR 79 in service number order, otherwise his records would be a normal army search.

Have you searched the NA catalogue for 30 Sqn or 31 Wing?

Not as yet,

im still struggling to locate and understand army records :-(,

airmen are a whole new ball game for me, but thanks for the direction.

Grant

Hi Grant,

1901 census

Guthrie Thomas G 50 Head Engine Fitter Newcastle, Wiltshire 164 Clifton Street, Swindon

Guthrie Eva 45 Wife Braunston, Northamptonshire 164 Clifton Street, Swindon

Guthrie Jennie E 19 Daughter Assistant School Teacher Swindon, Wiltshire 164 Clifton Street, Swindon

Guthrie Amy 18 Daughter Pupil Teacher Swindon, Wiltshire 164 Clifton Street, Swindon

Guthrie Mabel J 14 Daughter Swindon, Wiltshire 164 Clifton Street, Swindon

Guthrie Mortimer H 9 Son Swindon, Wiltshire 164 Clifton Street, Swindon

Guthrie Olive L 6 Daughter Swindon, Wiltshire 164 Clifton Street, Swindon

Guthrie Richard C 3 Son Swindon, Wiltshire 164 Clifton Street, Swindon

Birth

Births Dec 1897

Guthrie Richard Casper Highworth 5a 40

Tell me when your fed up with the genealogy stuff, it's just I like your little quests

Mel

Hi Mel,

"Casper" - well done !!

And their not little quests, their a project of the uttermost enormousisity, I'll have you know :-)

And you can keep sending the geh / gena / family history stuff, it gives my chaps a bit of a life

Thank you

Grant

Hi Grant

any time, and the little quests are mine, I love looking for"gone but hopefully not forgotten people,

Just how enormous will it be?

Mel

Hi Mel,

Compared to some that i've seen on here it's only a baby, about 500 names in total I think, but to me it's emormouse

:-)

I'm still hunting out the memorial plaques that used to be hung on the walls of the old GWR workshops - I used to walk passed these things every day when I was an apprentice (I was there when it was BR, not that old) and wish I had the foresight to photograph them - when the works closed, part of it was turned into a shopping mall and the manager managed to save five from the rubble and has had them fixed to the walls.

On searching the Imperial War Museums site (they have a project where their saving pictures, listings and information about war memorials) and discovered that there are a further sixteen of these plaques in storage with the National Monument Record Centre people (which is based here in Swindon) and am now trying to find there location to transcrribe them and to try and get them on display either in the shopping mall or in the Steam museum (railway museum) where the public can see them.

But it is a bit of a struggle, I have emailed the monument peolpe and have visited them, but no one seems to be able to locate where they are (IWM state there in a storage shed) or who is in charge of them. I have all the log numbers from IWM.

So Mel, your next quest (should you choose to accept it) is to find the person hiding my plaques.

This post will self destruct in 5 seconds....

Grant

Grant

From Mark`s Book

Guthrie R C

Lance-Corporal 93960 217th Army troops

Company Royal engineers, Transferred to RFC as AM 2nd class

KIA 13th April 1918

Son of Mr & Mrs TG Guthrie of 164 Clifton Street

Villers Brettoneux Cemetary V E 3, France

Apprentice in Loco & Carriage dept GWR

There is a photo as well mate if you havn`t got one

Best regards

Bob

post-21863-1204462181.jpg

Bob,

Cheers, Iv'e been shying away from Marks book, just so I cant be accussed of plagrisum (if that the right word for it) until I can manage to have a chat with him.

It looks like he's got this one wrong, CWGC site him as "Died 05/12/1917 and buried in Baghdad" and backed up by Patrick in post #2.

Grant

Grant

Thought that the two details didn`t quite give the same location of burial mate, France / Mesopotamia. Saying that we are assuming that CWGC is correct & we all know how sometimes these things get mistaken, sure an e-mail to them will sort it out & to Mark as well just to check his sources.

Best Regards mate, anything else you think i can assist with in checking just ask mate, least i can do

Bob