Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

War Memoirs of Pte CB Brown, 2nd King Edward Horse and 12th Tank Corps

AlanCurragh

If there is a moderator in the house, is there any objection to me posting more of the memoirs? I'm conscious of eating lots of band width....

I'll post another excerpt shortly, the opening 12 pages.

Alan

Alan,

I too could do some transcribing if you run short of people

Grant

Page 12 - hopefully these pages give a flavour of Charles - I must admit flicking through the memoirs, there is not a great deal of action, but maybe that is not so unusual.

I like his style though. The final words of the memoir are "And so to bed". And I don't think he would have been Haig's biggest fan....

post-2705-1204155443.jpg

Magic,

These are amazing. Please keep them coming, I am enthralled.

Regards,

Garry

As an afterthought, by showing the book in a public forum are we not opening up the copyrights of the book? Maybe someone with more knowledge regarding these matters may advise.

Would the work not be better done by PM or via a private forum.

Sorry to bring this up in such an interesting thread, only thinking of the interest of the school.

Regards,

Garry

Garry - a very fair point. I was only going to post a few examples at this stage to see how much interest there was. I'm happy to go on posting subject to Chris being happy for me to use the GWF in this way. I'm not sure what the copyright position is on a private publication given to a school library.

My contact in the school was happy for me to use the memoirs as I wished - but I don't imagine he foresaw the whole thing being potentially made available. I will contact him again and ensure he is happy for posting and transcription to take place.

In the meantime I will contact those of you who wish to see more pages by PM

Alan

A pearl; a real pearl.

If you come across the name Thomas Bushel as a tank driver, I would be most pleased for any detail on him.

Geraint

I've now added an album in "Photobucket" for the book and have uploaded the first 31 pages. Rather than post the website link, please PM me if you want to see how it looks. I'll PM those on the thread who have already shown an interest.

Assuming this Photobucket thing works, I'll upload the rest of the pictures over the next few days...

Alan

Alan

This is an excellent contribution to studies. You are, sincerely congratulated

Regards

Geraint

I've now uploaded up to page 100 to the photobucket site - taking the memoirs up to August 1916.

As before, please email me if you would like the link.

Alan

For those of you following Charles' story, 200 pages now posted, taking the story to his transfer to the Tanks Corps.

Alan

...and finally, the whole memoir is posted. As before, please let me know if you want the link....

Alan

Thanks Alan,

Just read the first 90 pages, a vivid walk through all those familiar names, think it will be a late one tonight ;)

Cheers

Shirley