Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

A soldier's burial place

Ron

I have a note written many years ago describing a soldier's burial place as Flat Iron Copse cemetery. It was written by a relative. However, CWGC say he has no known grave and is remembered on the Thiepval Memorial. He died at the battle for Eaucourt l' Abbaye in 1916

Apparently Flat Iron Copse cemetery was damaged by actions later in the war so that his grave, if it was there and marked by a wooden copse, could have been destroyed and so lost.

Is this a possible scenario?

Ron

It would be interesting to try for a special memorial believed to be buried in this cemetery, a known to be buried might be harder. Terry what do you think?

I have a relative buried in Flat Iron Copse. I suspect that a comrade of his, they were both members of the AIF, is buried there too but he has no known grave. They were both post war concentrations so the loss of identity of the unknown probably happened due to damage to the battlefield cemetery they had previously been buried in.

Out of interest I wonder whether you'd be good enough to advise on the date of your soldiers death and the date of the letter.

Thanks

Joe

It would be worth checking the regt or battn paperwork as well in case they mention the burial i.e. only man to die/be buried that day etc. There also will have been a telegram giving burial details (I have one for my great uncle) but only if it was an official burial i.e. more than just his mates doing the decent thing for a fellow soldier.