Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

German POW's

Ian C

Hi

There are six German POW's from the Great War buried in The German Cemetery in Glencree, about 12 miles south of Dublin. As they were POW's their names etc must have been known, does anybody have any idea where I can get this information? I know that there is the German War Graves site, but as I do not speak any German.

Any Ideas?

Thanks

Ian C

Ian,

At Glencree, there are 134 Greman dead of both wars .Six as you say from the Great War and 128 from World War 2.

Grencree is the final resting place of the German dead in the Republic of Ireland and is a concentration cemetery covering 100 previous burial sites.The cemetery was established between 1959 and 1961 and I believe the Republic has the responsibility,by mutual agreement, for its upkeep.

I would think that the records for this cemetery have been well maintained and would be obtained from the:

Volksbund Deutsche Kreigsgraberfursorge e V. (German War Graves Service)

Werner Hilpert Strasse 2

34112 Kassel

Hesse

Germany

www.volksbund.de. e mail info@volksbund.de

I would add that the VDK will be able to handle the English language

Hi

There are six German POW's from the Great War buried in The German Cemetery in Glencree, about 12 miles south of Dublin. As they were POW's their names etc must have been known, does anybody have any idea where I can get this information? I know that there is the German War Graves site, but as I do not speak any German.

Any Ideas?

Thanks

Ian C

I have the names of the six. They were mostly civilians. I shall try and locate their names for you. One was shot attempting to escape from Oldcastle. One died in a mental hospital in Mullingar. Another died in Duncannon [Co Wexford]. Two if I remember came from Tipparary. The Museum at Kassel gave me their names.

Hi

Any Ideas?

Thanks

Ian C

Found list. They were:

August Bockmeyer - shot attempting to escape from Oldcastle [Civilian]

M Anton Gierszewski [Transferred from Templemore Catholic Cemetery]

Walter Richter [Machinist] - Tr from Duncannon Old Cemetery, Co Waterford [?] [Co Wexford]

Erwin Schutz [Civilian] - Died in Mulingar mental Hospital = Poss named Swartz.

Franz Seemeir - [Civiliam] - [Tr from Oldcastle Catholic Cemetery] - Football accident!

Ludwig Spellerburg [PoW] - Templemore