Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Regimental Badges

dntetlow

Does anyone know of a site where I can access a line drawing of regimental badges for a wide range of regiments? I would like to be able to use a regimental badge next to a write up I am doing of each person on a local war memorial. Some are in the Wiltshire regiment, Worcestershire, Manchester, and a wide range of other regiments. Does the RFA have different badges for differing units etc? As you'll see = I'm very much a novice in this area so any help would be much appreciated.

David

Hello David, is it specifically line drawings you are after ?

I have been collecting photographs of regimental badges for the fallen of my war memorial to include in my web site.

If these are suitable let me know which regiments you are after and I'll see if I can be of any help.

If not suitable then hopefully another Forum member can supply you with an answer.

Regards. Jarvis.

Jarvis,

I was hoping for line drawings as they tend to be clearer and are more consistent with the rest of the booklet - which has line drawings of the war memorial etc. That said photographs may well be suitable as well. Is it possible for you to attach one for the 1st Bn, Wiltshire Regiment and Ill have a look.

Many thanks

David

David

There are line drawings of many badges in 'Regiments and Corps of the British Army' by Ian S.Hallows but they may be copyright, so you should not use them without checking, but they will give you an idea, if you can get hold of a copy. No credit is given for the illustrator.

It was published by Arms & Armour in 1991 and by New Orchard Editions (Cassells) in 1994.

Having just had a look at some, any with a crown show the QE, not the KGV version.

Hope you find something

Daggers

1st Bn, Wiltshire Regiment is of course one I don't have yet.

I do have the following examples for

5/6th Bn Wiltshires

post-15884-1203968769.jpg

and an as yet unidentified Wiltshire Bn.

post-15884-1203968851.jpg

I think you may be better off to hold out for line drawings as they may be more 'uniform' in appearance, thus more in line with the rest of your publication.

See what you think. The images are on the small size both in dimensions and in file size.

I have also attached an image of a 'silk' to the Wiltshires. Just another idea that springs to mind.

post-15884-1203969413.jpg

Regards. Jarvis.

Jarvis,

OK, thanks for trying anyway! From what I can see the regimental badges do not vary much by Battalion so I'll probably need to go with something a little more generic.

David

All the Wilts Bns had the same brass badge shown above. Not sure why it described as 'unidentified' witht he exception of one Ta Bn, they were all the same design from 1908-53.

Alan

David: I have exactly the same need for line drawings of badges for the regiments I am writing about. Let's hope someone can point us in the right direction.

Jarvis,

As Alan has said you have both badges issued by the Wiltshire Regiment. The brass one you have said is unidentified was that of the regular battalions and the territorial and service Wiltshire battalions except the 4th Battalion, which was a black badge of the same design.

Cheers

Chris

David and pmaasz, I have a collection of line drawings which is been constantly added to, if you're interested PM your requirements and I'll see what I've got,

cheers, Jon

I had the same problem. In frustration I spent hours in front of PC editing coloured badges. There was no quick and easy way to go about it.

Sometimes you may be lucky to find line drawing of the badges in regimental histories, silks have already been mentioned but there are also cigarette cards.

I do have a full set cigarrette cards of regimental badges, sadly the badges are coloured but they are line drawings. If you can find no other source then I would be happy to scan those cards for you. Look on the bright side at least every regimental badge in the set of cards is by the same artist so your display will look uniform.

Hi Yellow,

Many thanks for your offer of scanning the cigarette cards - this may well be a workable way forward as I can always turn the colour versions into a grayscale image which may be ideal for the job. If you are happy to go for this then the ones I''m after (in no particular order) are:

Wiltshire Regiment (1st, 2nd/4th, 3rd, 5th, 6th, 7th Bns)

Royal Field Artillery (187 Bde, 24 Bde, 28 Bde, 4th A Reserve Bde, 303rd Bde)

Honourable Artillery Company (2nd Bn)

Manchester Regiment (20th Bn)

Army Service Corps (M.T. Reinforcements)

Worcestershire Regiment (3rd Bn)

Royal Army Medical Corps (60th Field Amb)

Royal Garrison Artillery (277th Siege Bty)

Berkshire Yeomanry

Monmouthshire Regiment (2nd Bn)

Royal Dublin Fusiliers (1st Bn)

Devonshire Regiment (1st Bn)

London Regiment (Queen Victoria Rifles) (1st/9th Bn)

Grenadier Guards (2nd Bn)

Royal Berkshire Regiment (1st Bn)

West Yorkshire Regiment (Prince of Wales Own)

Royal Navy Stoker 1st Class (HMS Tiger)

I don't know what sort of coverage of the above you have with your set of cigarette cards but would certainly be surprised if you had them all, especially the last one!!!

David

Edwards' Regimental Badges

Taylor, Collecting Anodised Badges

Alderson, Cap badges of the British Army

Audax, Badge Backings and special embellishments of the British Army

All these books use line drawings of badges, I'm pretty sure there is also a booklet on collecting 1st WW cap badges which also uses line drawings.

Steve,

I only need them to be circa an inch square so they don't need to be particularly high resolution/large files. I can adjust the actual size with the software I have for the booklet.

David

Jon,

They are although they will need to be adjusted to make the background white - can probably do that by adjusting the brightness and contrast on my image handling software.

I have already been given some badges by Steve (which are just what I'm after) but would be more than happy to have more copies - that way I can select the best images for the booklet I'm putting together.

Kind regards

David

Hi David,

vista not liking my scanner software at the mo, the pics above are from a digi cam hence the dark spots and greying,

cheers, Jon