Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

7th Battalion Royal Inniskilling Fusilers A Company 3 Platoon

BPB

Hello to you all,

I am a new member to this Forum. From what I have read here it looks to be an exellent Forum.

My grandfather was in the 7th Battalion A Comany 3 Platoon Royal Inniskilling Fusiliers when he was killed in action on the 6th August 1917. His name was Percy Harold Harwood and his No. was 41817. His brother-in-law, Tom Trott was also in the Royal Inniskillinf Fusiliers at the same time and was killed on the 16th August 1917. Both were in the front line at Ypres.

I do not know at this stage if Tom Trott was also in A Company 3 Platoon, but his No was 41815. They were both enlisted into the Somerset Light Infantry and then at some point they were both transferred to the RIF. As their numbers are almost consecutive I can only assume that they might well have been in the same platoon and company. If someone out there knows if this was likely or indeed if numbers were purely coincidental I would appreciate some comments.

What I am really trying to find out is who else was in A Company 3 Platoon during the period the unit was at Ypres, especially from April 1917 to the time the 7th were almalmagated with the 8th which was 23rd August 1917.

If there are any members who have any information or know of any other persons who might have information and are willing to share it please contact me.

Cheers,

Bryan Board

Finding information on who was in which Company, let alone which Platoon is nigh on impossible without Nominal Rolls surviving, of which scant few do.

If anyone has them it would be the Regimental Museum.

There is a book on the battalion written in 1920, and since reprinted:

"Walker, GAC: The Book of the 7th Service Battalion Royal Inniskilling Fusiliers from Tipperary to Ypres., published 1920, 141pp, including maps, roll of honour, cemetery plans, illus."

http://www.naval-military-press.com/catalo...-books/6317.htm

Steve.

Hello Stebie9173,

Many thanks for your reply. I have already been in contact with the regimental museum and very helpful they were. Unfortunately they did not have this information. I have a copy of the War Diary for the period when my grandfather and his brother-in-law were killed. I was hoping that some members of this Forum might have had family members or know of others who might have had contacts with soldiers of this platoon. I will keep looking.

Thanks,

Bryan Board

• 5 months later...
Guest Manny Trainor
Hello Stebie9173,

Many thanks for your reply. I have already been in contact with the regimental museum and very helpful they were. Unfortunately they did not have this information. I have a copy of the War Diary for the period when my grandfather and his brother-in-law were killed. I was hoping that some members of this Forum might have had family members or know of others who might have had contacts with soldiers of this platoon. I will keep looking.

Thanks,

Bryan Board

Not helpful, i'm afraid, and more of a question to you,Bryan. My great-great uncle was with the 7th batt RIF. Killed in April27th,1916 at Hulluch. This is all i know about his service.Well, we do know he was a stetcher bearer, r at least, he was killed whilst carrying one. How would i go about finding out more about his service/ IE his company,platoon?

Many thanks

Mazengarbe

• 2 years later...
Guest sue1958booth

hi

my grandfather was john simm number 23437, although he was from lancashire he joined the 7th inniskilling in tipperary

he did survive the war and died on 27th dec 1950

my father still has his medals

i do not know much about his service at all

can you supply any info

thanks

sue booth nee simm

Hello to you all,

I am a new member to this Forum. From what I have read here it looks to be an exellent Forum.

My grandfather was in the 7th Battalion A Comany 3 Platoon Royal Inniskilling Fusiliers when he was killed in action on the 6th August 1917. His name was Percy Harold Harwood and his No. was 41817. His brother-in-law, Tom Trott was also in the Royal Inniskillinf Fusiliers at the same time and was killed on the 16th August 1917. Both were in the front line at Ypres.

I do not know at this stage if Tom Trott was also in A Company 3 Platoon, but his No was 41815. They were both enlisted into the Somerset Light Infantry and then at some point they were both transferred to the RIF. As their numbers are almost consecutive I can only assume that they might well have been in the same platoon and company. If someone out there knows if this was likely or indeed if numbers were purely coincidental I would appreciate some comments.

What I am really trying to find out is who else was in A Company 3 Platoon during the period the unit was at Ypres, especially from April 1917 to the time the 7th were almalmagated with the 8th which was 23rd August 1917.

If there are any members who have any information or know of any other persons who might have information and are willing to share it please contact me.

Cheers,

Bryan Board