Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Pte W.C.Clarke MM

daggers

Help wanted, please with this soldier's first name. SDGW gives Walter. CWGC puts intials 'WC'. Church memorials have Walter in one form, William in another. He was kia 20 Sept 1917 and is commemorated on the Tyne Cot Memorial. His MM was gazetted 11 Jan 1918 [suppl. of 14 Jan] for bravery in the field. Any details would be welcomed.

Daggers

Help wanted, please with this soldier's first name. SDGW gives Walter. CWGC puts intials 'WC'. Church memorials have Walter in one form, William in another. He was kia 20 Sept 1917 and is commemorated on the Tyne Cot Memorial. His MM was gazetted 11 Jan 1918 [suppl. of 14 Jan] for bravery in the field. Any details would be welcomed.

Daggers

If you know from whence he came, and his age, then a check on Free BMD or the 1901 census could help?

Ian

Ian - no age or exact address known and several candidates on FreeBMD, so I'm stuck there.

Paul - thank you for that. Can you say where you found the information? Have you any more on him? I have other '7th' men on the memorial I am revisiting, if you are interested. Wooler of 2/7th, Billington, Lewis & 2/Lt McClelland all 1/7th. Let me know if you want anything about them.

Thanks to both of you.

Daggers