Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Gunner Albert Charles Price. RGA

Guest Rich Bristol

Guest Rich Bristol

When my father died I was left a box of old family photos. One of the photos showed my grandfather wearing some medals. One of these is a Croix De Guerre. I have found out that it was for "coolness and bravery whilst attending the wounded on the Somme under heavy shell fire during his front line posting".

How do I go about finding any more? All I have been able to find out is that he was a gunner in the 203 Siege Battery, RGA. Any help would be most appreciated.

Many Thanks

Richard Price.

post-1-1075759383.jpg

Your grandfather, 182625 Gunner A. C. Price, RGA was awarded the French Croix de Guerre in the London Gazette of 21 July 1919. He was also awarded the Military Medal in the London Gazette of 23 July 1919 as an Acting Lance Bombardier in 203 Siege Battery, RGA.

His other two medals are the British War Medal and WWI Victory Medal. It is very unlikely that you will be able to locate an official citation for either of these awards. The closeness of the London Gazette dates for the two medals might well indicate that both were awarded for the same action. Unfortunately the War Diary of the 203rd Siege Battery, which might have yielded some additional details, has not been located. Regards. Dick Flory

Guest Rich Bristol

Thanks for the info Dick. Sorry to be a pain but do you have any idea of his battery's movements, to which brigade they were attached or any dates of their postings ?

Once again thanks for your help.

The 203 Siege Battery went to the Western Front in December 1916 armed with four 9.2" Howitzers and joined III Corps Heavy Artillery on 27 Dec 16. It joined 27 Heavy Artillery Group (HAG) on 4 Jan 17; 66 HAG on 6 Feb 17; 59 HAG on 14 Apr 17; 51 HAG on 21 May 17; 53 HAG on 3 Jun 17; 25 HAG on 7 Jun 17; and 52 HAG on 18 Jun 17. From 24 Jun 17 to 4 Jul 17 it was in a rest area. It joined 36 HAG on 6 Jul 17; 19 HAG on 12 Jul 17; 21 HAG on 9 Nov 17; 4 HAG on 24 Nov 17; 71st HAG on 26 Nov 17; 90 HAG on 3 Dec 17; 4 HAG on 15 Dec 17. On 30 Dec 17 it joined 86 Brigade, RGA and remained with it until the end of the war. The battery was rearmed with four 6" Howitzers (26 cwt) on 30 Dec 17 and made up to six 6" Howitzers on 24 Jun 18 by the addition of one section from 513 Siege Battery.

Regards. Dick Flory