Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Prop Sticks

logilby

I have a letter written by an RFC pilot which describes the honor of getting a "prop stick" after his first minor crash. He explains that a pilot who walks away from a crash that damages the propeller gets to make a stick out of the propeller wood. He is thrilled that his propeller is teak rather than oak. Was this common practice/tradition? Do any of you have such a stick? Do you know of other explanations of this custom? The pilot who wrote this story in a letter is Lt. William Henry Townsend, 57 Sqn RAF. He was later killed in France.

Lois

I have not found a walking stick, but I have two picture frames made from the tips of props. I suspect that these were made by aircraftsmen, sold or given away, and are 'downscale' from walking sticks. Fascinating though.

I have a letter written by an RFC pilot which describes the honor of getting a "prop stick" after his first minor crash. He explains that a pilot who walks away from a crash that damages the propeller gets to make a stick out of the propeller wood. He is thrilled that his propeller is teak rather than oak. Was this common practice/tradition? Do any of you have such a stick? Do you know of other explanations of this custom? The pilot who wrote this story in a letter is Lt. William Henry Townsend, 57 Sqn RAF. He was later killed in France.

Lois

Hi Lois

I have this one:

Wise RFC

This prop stik was made from a Gotha Bomber propeller, and seems to have been given to those who took part in its demise.

A Gotha propeller was huge, and they may have made quite a few.

I have yet to research his time in the Royal Naval Division at Antwerp. I also intend sometime to research his observer.

I have seen quite a few 'Prop' sticks over the years, but few are named like this one. Most are un named.

Guy

• 2 weeks later...

I have a very interesting one that belonged to 2am Harold Edwards of 3 Sqn AFC. The handle is made from the prop of the captured DVa that 3Sqn kept for a while and the rest is made from one of the sawn off RE 8 propblades from MvR's original gravemarker (which was made by Harold, along with the plaque for the cross and coffin).