Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Walter Ernest Hailstone

london2000

Hello,

I'm hoping that someone can help me fill out the military history of a great uncle, Walter Ernest Hailstone born in Birmingham in 1891.

In his military records from The National Archives, between 2 July 1917 and 31 March 1918 he has the service number F32594 and is shown serving first at President II (C Palace) and then at President II (Howden?). (I understand from other posts on this forum that President II refers to naval establishments on land.) The record is also rubber stamped with "ENGT TO RAF". Under "If discharged, wither and for what cause" it also states "RAF".

In the Absent Voter's List published in 1918 for his ward in Birmingham, against his name it reads "232594, Pte., 1 Cls., E. Yorks." This is the same service number as before, with the "F" dropped and a "2" added to make it six digits - I read elsewhere on this forum that this was done for RNAS servicemen who transferred to the RAF.

This limited information sparks my curiosity. What was he likely to have been doing during his period of service at President II and later in E. Yorks? Did the fledgling RAF use army ranks, such as Private? And does E. Yorks refer to an airbase, or what?

Any help that readers can provide in putting some flesh on these bare bones will be much appreciated.

Thanks, Roger