Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Prees Heath Camp and Military Hospital

Kevin Mears

I'm new to this Forum but can see it is going to be a fantastic resource. I am currently looking at RAF Tilstock which was the second World War Aerodrome at Prees Heath near Whitchurch. I have passed the site many times but had a look around the site last weekend. I also visited a couple of the local Churchyards and this revealed to me that Prees Heath had been in use as both a training camp and Military Hospital in the Great War.

I would be greatful if anyone could offer any information about Prees Heath and the Military Hospital. Googling has revealed that the Hospital was a hutted affair and had accommodation for 609 patients. The Camp I now know opened in 1915 and was home to several Battalions of the Training Reserve and possibly to elements of the Labour Corps and other Reserve Units. I have been told today, no evidence to back this up, that Prees Heath also housed POW's in the Great War. Is this true? Or are they confusing the sire's role as a POW/Internment camp at the beginning of the Second World War?

As I said, any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

Regards,

Kevin Mears

Kevin

Prees Heath was also used as a dispersal camp post-war, for troops disembarking at Liverpool for demobilsation. It later used as a rest camp.

TR

• 10 months later...

Kevin

During the Great War Tilstock was a trench warfare training camp for some 25-30000 men. In addition to the hospital it was home at various points in time for elements of the 11th, 14th, 16th and 17th Reserve Bdes, of the Training Reserve. Some of the units had been based there since 1915 prior to their transformation into Trg Res Bn's (this included the 14th (Res) Bn., Cheshires which I have an interest in).

In addition to Terry's points I have ref's to RFC being there from 1917 and I know that there was an ASC personnel depot there by the end of the war.

Would also like to know much more about this camp - so pls let me know if you found anything further since your post earlier in the year.

Regards

Dave

• 10 months later...
Kevin

Prees Heath was also used as a dispersal camp post-war, for troops disembarking at Liverpool for demobilsation. It later used as a rest camp.

TR

There is a photograph of Prees Heath in the Shropshire Star newspaper last week under pictures of the past showing the huts in WW1

Kevin

Western Command Labour Corps were located at Prees Heath from late 1918.

Also three Labour Corps companies (392, 540 & 542) were stationed there.

Ivor

• 10 years later...

This event may be of interest to some members in the Shropshire-Cheshire-North Wales area.

Malpas Field Club’s  first indoor event for 2020 will be  on Wednesday 8th January at Malpas High Street Church SY14 8PR (7.45 pm) when David Broad will give an illustrated talk on ‘Prees Heath Camp during the Great War 1914-18’.  David works as a volunteer at Whitchurch Heritage Centre and was very involved with research and preparations for the Malpas ‘100 Years On’ programme in 2018, which commemorated events in the Malpas area during the Great War.  For further information about the Field Club or to be sent a copy of the current programme, by post or email, please contact secretary David Hayns:

Tel: 01948 860486   Email: davidhayns.123@btinternet.com