Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

RGA and RASC

colin t

Hi,

I am looking for info concerning my grandparents,i not have much insight into there past only from birth certificates.First start with my fathers father John neville, he was born in Norfolk abt 1864,lived at Woolwich in 1904 at 2b block,Cambridge Cottages,Woolwich,Gunner in RGA,married to Rose Ann Neville,formerly Spragg have no further information only my Father in 1929 visited war graves in France?,i thinking my grandfather be dead due to my father starting work at age of 12yrs 1916 as no income in family.

My other grandfather Charles Shave born 1869 at Wickhambrook Suffolk,lived at 61 Samuel Street,Woolwich,1910 married to Charlotte Shave formerly Somerton at that time Foreman Royal Dockyards,other info he was Major in Army RASC,spent time in India,and also at Peacehaven in charge of railways? retired back to Wickhambrook.

sorry for no further info,hoping someone on this site may help.

thanks Colin :rolleyes:

Hi Colin,

Here's a possibility for one of your grandfathers on the CWGC website (it appears he was in 1st Siege Battery RGA) - though the age seems unlikely. I couldn't find another John Neville of the RGA who's buried in France.

http://www.cwgc.org/search/casualty_detail...asualty=2742592

cheers

Steve

Thanks steve sad to say wrong grandfather...in 1901 Census he was 37 yrs old,profession or occupation then Gunner RGA,born Shipdham,Norfolk,lived at Henry Street,Woolwich.Of course he could have died in uk or some other country.both grandparents died before i was born,not much spoken of at time and me being young,enough said...Colin

Hi Colin,

There is a MIC card on Ancestry for a John Neville I don't know whether this is yours?

John Neville

No. 7236

153 Heavy Battery RGA

Gunner

Enlisted 24/10/1915

Discharged 6/5/1916 Para. 39 111 KR M.V Sickness

List RGA 41

That's all,

Regards

Peter.

Hi Colin,

There is a MIC card on Ancestry for a John Neville I don't know whether this is yours?

John Neville

No. 7236

153 Heavy Battery RGA

Gunner

Enlisted 24/10/1915

Discharged 6/5/1916 Para. 39 111 KR M.V Sickness

List RGA 41

That's all,

Regards

Peter.

Hi Peter

thanks for reply i check ancestry,but my grandfather showing on my fathers birth certificate 1904 as Gunner RGA,address as 2b Block,cambridge Cottages,Woolwich.going back to 1881 census then 17yrs old. Regards

Colin.

It might help if I added that the 'ASC' was not 'Royal' in 1914. My grandfather's cap badge and shoulder titles are without the R.

Hi Grumpy.

thanks on info,i not found any info on this grandfather (Charles Shave),hopefully find soon.

Regards

Colin.

Colin,

Do you have any evidence that John Neville served in the Great War? Given his time of enlistment it would be unlikely I would have thought. He would have done 21 years service by 1903 give or take.

Kevin

Kevin,

The only info i have on my fathers birth certificate dated 1904,gunner rga,i know from previous family talk he served in artillery at woolwich,my mother mentioned often that my father started work at 12 yrs old 1916, due to his father not being able to support family,(me thinking he died then).also at 1916 he be 52yrs old?,i visited find my past, on 1881 census 17yrs old, on 1901 census 37yrs old,profession Gunner RGA and married,address henry street,woolwich.Not knowing when he joined army,originally came from norfolk

Can i find any info from RA in woolwich?.

Thanks for your help,i have to keep looking and hopeful.

Regards

Colin.

Colin,

I cannot say whether this is the right entry, but the only death close I can find is;

Name: John S Neville

Estimated Birth Year: abt 1864

Year of Registration: 1917

Quarter of Registration: Jan-Feb-Mar

Age at Death: 53

District: Woolwich

County: Greater London, Kent, London

Volume: 1d

Page: 1717 (click to see others on page)

May be worth getting the death certificate. You will see there is a S for his second name. As to your father starting work at 12yrs I would not think that it was that unusual.

Regards Kevin

Kevin,

Thanks on reply and info,hope to get copies of death and birth certificates.

Reason i mention my father started work at 12yrs old, because at the time he passed for Bloomfield Grammar School which at the time top school for those days.

regards

Colin.

• 6 years later...
Guest shave70

Hi there, is this post still going? My gt grandfather is the same Charles Shave. His daughter Flo, married a Reg Neville in about 1930 in Woolwich. Flo's brother Walter is my grandad. Sadly he died in 1950 so i never knew him. I have lots of info about the Shave family tree if you need any help? Regards Rebecca.