Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Abbassia Garrison Cairo

londons

Hi,

Does anyone have any details of the Abbassia Garrison in Cairo ?

Any knowledge of who was based there, whether the 10th londons ever went there or any pictures or stories?

My gg grandfather was stationed there from June 1917 before joining the Labour Corps in an unknown location in Egypt and then finally joining the 10th Londons.

I believe the camel corps was based there ?

Many thanks for looking and in anticipation.

Best regards,

Lee

Mate,

Yes the Camel Corps was based there with its Camel Training Unit and a number (Two) of Reserve or Demonstration Companies. For each of the British and Anzac Troops of the ICC.

As for any Garrision Bn's I can find no mention of any in my records but for a number of Replacement or LH Training Units/depots as well as AIF HQ units around Cairo.

S.B

Hi S.B.,

Thanks for your note.

I do know for sure that the 1st Garrison Battalion Royal Warwickshire Regiment were based at Abbassia definitely between June 1917 and August 1917 probably longer since the 1st GN Bn RWR were posted to Egypt from 1915.

regards,

Lee

You could be right.

I did notice that the units shown in the Offical History (1915-1916) for the Alexandria District were the 1st Garrison Bn of the Notts and Derby Regt, 1st Garrison Bn Horthampton Regt and two companies of the 1st Garrison Bn Royal Scots.

For the Defence of Egypt (Line of Communication Troops) are, 1st Garrison Bn Essex Regt, 1st Garr Bn Devenshire Regt, 1st Garr Bn Royal Scots (two companies), 1st Garr Bn Liverpool Regt, 1st Garr Bn Royal Irish Regt, 19th Garr Bn Rifle Regt, 20th Garr Bn Rifle Regt, 21st Garr Bn Rifle Regt, 22nd Garr Bn Rifle regt and 1st Garr Bn Royal Warwickshire Regt (at Khartoum).

S.B