Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Royal Naval Ordinance

darkisland

I have just come on a document which has my Great Grandfather who was a Master Mariner down as a Merchant Mariner (Royal Naval Ordinance) in 1918.Also as a North Sea Pilot during WW1. Can someone please enlighten me? No sea going experience of my own.

Cheers

Sid

Sid

On October 1st 1891 the Naval Ordnance Department was formed. It's task was to look after the storage and transport of ammunition and gunpowder for the fleet.

Royal Naval Ordnance Depots were set up throughout the UK and Empire.

Merchant shipping was used to transport material and ammunition.

Eventually with the progress in type of weaponry used the RNOD Establishments became Royal Naval Armament Depots (RNAD).

Currently this role is the responsibility of Defence Munitions with Defence Munitions Centres (DMC) located throughout the UK.

Dave

Dave

Thanks for the information. All these bits of knowledge help us to understand our ancestors better and to understand what they went through.

Thanks again,

Sid

Check spelling carefully though, Darkisland! Ordnance and Ordinance are two different things, and confusion between the two spellings is almost universal.

Ordnance is guns, shells, etc., just as Heritage Plus says, as in Royal Army Ordnance Corps.

An Ordinance is a set of regulations, such as "The Defence Force Ordinance" of 1910, "The Texas Ordinance of Secession" of 1861 which officially separated Texas from the rest of the US, the "Hong Kong Bill of Rights Ordinance" of 1991, etc.

There are also ordinances concerning the Royal Navy such as "The Naval Volunteer Ordinance, No. I" of 1937, so "Merchant Mariner (Royal Naval Ordinance)" could mean that the Merchant Mariner status is by virtue of a Royal Naval Ordinance - a set of regulations, or it might mean something to do with guns, shells, etc.

Tom

Re the spelling of Ordinance or Ordnance, it is the first of the two and because it is a hand written document by someone who was non Naval it could be a mistake. The document by the way is his wifes death certificate which was made out in Feb. 1918.

Thanks.

Sid