Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Celtic Wood 1917

Landsturm

Does anyone have information what actually happened in the disasterous raid made by Australians in October 1917, in Celtic Wood, near Broodseinde? I haven`t got my hands on the book "Anatomy of a Raid", so I`m looking for information...

My advice would be to buy the book; it is hardly that expensive and easily available on-line. A short summary doesn't really do this subject justice.

• 2 weeks later...

Be wary of the conclusions drawn by the author. The idea of a 'devious' German unit possibly hiding the alleged truth was a bit too much for me. At this point in the war and this area of the front was in great turmoil and men, equipment and horses disappeared.

Read the book and let me know your thoughts.

Ralph

The idea of a 'devious' German unit possibly hiding the alleged truth was a bit too much for me

My thought too Ralph.

The 5th K.S.L.I. took part in an attack in which they got into German second lines but had to retire as units on their flanks did not do so well. They had well over hundred killed and only a small handful have known graves. The Germans would not have had time to give them proper burials, it would have been the case to just throw any bodies in the nearest shell hole without any marker.

Annette