Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Haig in newsreels

George Armstrong Custer

A short but interesting compilation of newsreel footage of Field Marshal Sir Douglas Haig can be viewed here:

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=MawVWJPJq88

One sequence shows Haig and other 'top brass' seemingly larking about as they jostle to form up for a formal photograph. Being filmed on such occasions by 'the Cinema' seems to have brought out a schoolboyish humour in senior figures quite as much as in the ordinary Tommies who are frequently seen 'acting up' for the cameras as they march by in newsreels. Haig's diary refers to such occasions at least twice: On 12 August 1918, Foch's new hat seems to have been worthy of comment at a photo shoot:

"HM the King...then presented the KCB to General Debeney....We were then photod - Field Marshal Foch in his new hat, the King, self, Petain, Fayolle and a host of others. The Cinema running all the time while we were forming up".

On 11 November 1918, Plumer seems to have been the butt of humour at a photo opportunity:

"After the Conference, we were all taken on the Cinema! General Plumer, whom I told to 'go off and be cinema'd' went off most obediently and stood before the camera trying to look his best, while Byng and others near him were chaffing the old man and trying to make him laugh...."

ciao,

GAC

Yeah, I spotted that Somme link alongside the Haig newsreel on Youtube Phil. It too is a well put together compilation - a lot of it familiar, but one or two snippets not so.

BTW - it appears that there's a problem posting a URL or quotes tags in this Document repository board - anyone know what's wrong?

ciao,

GAC

Yes I couldn't get mine to post as a proper link, but then saw that your own link isn't coming up for me as a 'clickable' link either. I've run a test on other sections of the forum and I can post URL links, quotes, colour coded text etc with no problem, so for me at least, the problem seems confined to the Document repository board.

ciao,

GAC

Just posted the same link as I used on this thread on the testing area of A place to play' and it's working fine - so the problem with creating a working link must be with this Document repository board.