Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

F/Lt. Harry ADIE - died 1/5/16

Ken S.

Looking for information regarding Harry Morton Ellis Adie, a Canadian pilot who died on May 1, 1916. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Ken

Ken

Lt* H M E Adie of No 8 Sqn RFC (formerly 19th Battalion, Canadian Infantry) was killed in an accident when flying as observer in BE 2c 4180 on 1 May 1916. His pilot must have emerged unscathed. No 8 Sqn was an army co-operation unit (mainly artillery spotting and reconnaissance) based at La Bellevue aerodrome at the time.

* = Flight Lieutenant was a Royal Naval Air Service rank.

I hope that this helps you.

Gareth

There is a HARRY MORTON ELLIS ADIE, Regimental number: 55970 signing up with the Canadians in 1914.

Regards Mark

http://data2.archives.ca/cef/well1/202817a.gif

http://data2.archives.ca/cef/well1/202817b.gif

War Diary Link

http://data4.collectionscanada.ca/netacgi/...amp;r=0&f=S

19th Battalion (91st Regiment Canadian Highlanders), 4th Brigade, 2nd Division

Raised in Central Ontario

Number block for the Battalion 55001 to 57000.

Date Unit was raised 14th Oct 1914

Original Officer Commanding McLaren, J.J.

Date Unit sailed from Canada, 13th May , 1915.

Officers 41 and Other Ranks 1073

Ken

Lt* H M E Adie of No 8 Sqn RFC (formerly 19th Battalion, Canadian Infantry) was killed in an accident when flying as observer in BE 2c 4180 on 1 May 1916. His pilot must have emerged unscathed. No 8 Sqn was an army co-operation unit (mainly artillery spotting and reconnaissance) based at La Bellevue aerodrome at the time.

* = Flight Lieutenant was a Royal Naval Air Service rank.

I hope that this helps you.

Gareth

Gareth, yes, it's of great help. Thank you.

Hi,

Here is his Commission to Temporary 2nd Lieutenant 6 Feb 1916 in the Gazette.

Regards Mark

http://www.gazettes-online.co.uk/ViewPDF.a...t=&similar=

Mark, thanks for that.

Ken, not specific to ADIE, but No.8 Sqdn ;

LITTLE Robert A DSC Flt.Lt. RNAS 85T068 & 069

No. 8 Naval Squadron Attached 10 (Army) Wing) R.F.C.

Field Marshall C-in-C France 22.06.17 Gazetted

R.N.A.S. Officers - France 22-23.04.17 & 03.05.17 DSC - bar to

For exceptional daring and skill in ariel fighting on many occasions, of which the following are examples :- On the 3rd May, 1917, he saw a formation of 8 hostile scouts attacking some of our machines. He dived in amongst them and fired on one at very close range. This machine was seen by another Pilot to go down out of control. On the 30th April, 1917, with three other Sopwith Triplanes, he went up after hostile machines. Near Douai they saw a big fight between F.E's and hostile aircraft. Lt. Little attacked one at 50 yards range and brought it down out of control. A few minutes later, he attacked a Red Scout, with a larger machine than the rest. This machine was handled with great skill, but by clever manoeuvring, Lt. Little got into a good position close behind and below, and shot it down out of control. On the 29th April, 1917, he shot down a hostile scout, which crashed on Douai aerodrome, and on the 28th April, 1917, he destroyed an Airatik East of Arras.

Many more such,

Sadsac

Sadsac

Again, your information is interesting, but not terribly relevant to the man in question. Lt Adie served as an observer flying in the BE 2cs of No 8 Sqn Royal Flying Corps in 1916, while Flt Lt A Little was a Sopwith Triplane pilot in No 8 Sqn Royal Naval Air Service in 1917.

Although the two squadrons had the same number, they were two quite different units in different services, ie the RFC was part of the Army, while the RNAS was a Naval organisation, even if some units operated under RFC control.

Cheers

Gareth

Gareth,

quite so, only put it in `for interest' - for myself I have found that `diverse info' can lead on to a `finding' !! Also your input will have empasised the point that RNAS / RFC are different entities - that in itself may have been informative to `someone' (me in particular) - keep up the informative `rhubarbs' - all quite acceptable !

Sadsac

Sadsac

I'm sure that you're well meaning, but I'm not quite sure that I follow your reasoning here. I confess that I'm a pedant when it comes to things aeronautical in the Great War, but I don't see how citing information (no matter how interesting) on airmen who:

were in a very different unit;

in a totally separate service;

flying unlike aeroplanes;

during another year; and

sometimes on a geographically remote front

helps the researcher who isn't familar with Great War aviation. Isn't it more likely to confuse them?

Cheers

Gareth