Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Indian Officers

Simon_Fielding

Does anyone have any helpful hints or revealing experiences researching Indian Army officers 1914-1918??

Regards

Simon

No hints or previous experience I am afraid, but as a matter of interest would these records be held at the India and Oriental Office (at the British Library)?

Yes, they are. The website says there is an index available in the Reading Room. You do have to wade through all of the East India Company officers too....Just wondered if anyone had a success story?

Simon

Simon,

I've 'spotted' half a dozen BL officer files of interest to me by using the search engine on Access To Archives, accessed from

http://www.a2a.pro.gov.uk/links/archives_network/index.asp

restrict the search to the Oriental & IO Collection and play around with the names.

Now all I need to do is actually get there to look at them (when I'll try the catalogues as well).

Jock

That's really useful Jock. Thank you. No luck so far, but I'll keep trying!

These double barrelled names are a b*gger!! :D

Simon

Hi

There is a site on the next where you can ask questions relating to service in India and they e-mail all their members with your question. I cant for the life of me remember what it's called as my other computer crashed and is away at the repairers and all my data is on it. They do however send me e-mails so as soon as I get the next one I will forward it to you. I tried entering East Indiamen on the address bar but it didnt come up with the site.

Regards

Christina

Wow!! This would be great Christina, if you can find it. Has anyone else heard of this site?

Simon

I can tell you that, in comparison with the PRO, I found the British Library very un-user friendly when I visited it recently for a similar purpose.

To obtain a readers ticket to get in, you need lots of id, fill in a questionnaire about why you want to get in, undergo an interview, have your photo taken, etc. Then they issue you with a ticket, mine lasted three months. And there's me thinking that as a tax payer I had a right to go in. Silly me.

The filing system is complex, and once penetrated the document delivery system is unbelievably slow.

But that's where Indian Army records are!

Having used the India Office on several occasions for Indian Mutiny/genealogy business I can endorse everything Chris has said. However when I last used the BL about 3 years ago, if you were a student and this could be a part-time student, distance learner - particualrly Open University - then if you took your registration details, you could request a five year pass. I dont know if this still applies but I did contemplate when my current pass expires, to enroll on the cheapest OU course and get another 5 year pass.

Here is a site putting British India documents online

LaTrobe University

and this site, which I think is the one Christina referred to,

Family History in India

contains a great deal, including

Regimental Histories

Whilst the British Library may not be particularly user friendly compared say, with the NA, they were particularly good with me when I enquired by e-mail about the existence of certain documents that I needed to be sure were in there before making a personal visit. With in forty-eight hours I received a reply from a member of staff providing me with a crucial piece of research information at no cost, which saved me a trip. Can't say that this would happen for everbody though.

With respect to scrutiny before access is gained; this process is quite common at many archives, where often a letter of introduction is needed from a referee, the filling in of forms and personal identification.

Terry Reeves

Hi Simon

I have just got an email from them, whilst it doesnt give me the site it gives the email address as indiaman@topica.com [hope that comes out on the site] I will try and use the search engine to see if I can do better.

Regards

Christina