Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Info 2nd Lt John Scot Haigh RAF

warbuff1

Found on local memorial (Berry Brow, Huddersfield)a 2nd Lt John Scot Haigh 24th Sqdn Raf KIA 15/08/1918 Aged 19 and buried at Vignacourt Britsih cemetery. Can anyone help with any info on this man. Not sure on what RAF records survive as i am into Army research normally. Forgive me for venturing here :P . who were the 24th Sqdn , what planes etc did they fly? any info what so ever on Lt Haigh be much appreciated. I led to beleive Vignacourt was site of casualty clearing station and then HQ of RAF

Wayne

Wayne

In August 1918, 24 Squadron flew single seat SE5a scout or fighter aircraft. It was the first unit in the Royal Flying Corps to be established as a pure fighter squadron, I believe.

Unfortunately, I understand that the records of 24 Squadron were stolen some years ago, making detailed research into those who served difficult. However, that was a long time ago and some copies may have turned up since and I've not noticed. But there is a good record of the squadron's activities in a book by one of its American pilots, William Hazell, "Combat Report". Biographical details about Lambert are available here: http://www.theaerodrome.com/aces/usa/lambert.php.

According to "The SE5 File" by Ray Sturtivant and Gordon Page, Second Lieutenant Haig was killed in a crash whilst on a practice flight on 15th August 1918. He may have seen very little, if any, actual service.

Jim

His RAF service papers should be in AIR 76, these are on microfilm in alphabetical order, at Kew.

His commission into RFC, London Gazette #30337, dated 17th October 1917.

ROYAL FLYING CORPS.

The undermentioned Cadets to be temp. 2nd Lts. (on prob.). 11th Oct. 1917 :-

Horace James Goulding.

William Henry L'Estrange Graham.

John Scot Haigh.

George William Hales.

Link to Gazette is Here

Hope it helps.

Steve

Further details found this fascinating piece of info regarding his father:-

Schofield Haigh (born March 19, 1871, Berry Brow, Huddersfield, Yorkshire, England, died February 27, 1921, Taylor Hill, Huddersfield, Yorkshire, England) was a Yorkshire and England cricketer who was probably the most lethal bowler on a sticky wicket ever known.

After 1913 Haigh was a coach at Winchester School, where he was responsible for the emergence of Douglas Jardine. He also umpired several first class matches at the Scarborough Festival after he retired. He died prematurely in early 1921 as a result of a stroke.

Possibly strees/strain of losing his son brought this on

Wayne