Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

What is this medal?

old-ted

Here is one for you medal experts. The photograph shows a French lady wearing a British medal. I'm no expert so hope that one of you can identify it. I know who she is and will post more on her if there is interest.

Thanks in anticipation

John

post-28333-1203092589.jpg

Looks like the Allied Subjects Medal http://www.omsa.org/photopost/showphoto.ph...&ppuser=126.

See also this thread: http://1914-1918.invisionzone.com/forums/i...showtopic=14089

Hard to tell if it's silver or bronze issue.

If it is a Silver one, it's a rarity; 134 issued. The roll for the Allied Subjects Medal is in WO32/5571 at the National Archives.

The Allied Subject Medal would fit her story. She hid a British soldier for 2 years until he was betrayed. She was then imprisoned until the war ended. Her name is Julie Celeste Baudhuin. Ive tried the National Archives on line but can't find her medal card, but may be able to visit Kew next week. Any further help or suggestions would be much appreciated. I'm afraid I do not have the medal.

Thanks for your expertise.

John

The Allied Subject Medal would fit her story. She hid a British soldier for 2 years until he was betrayed. She was then imprisoned until the war ended. Her name is Julie Celeste Baudhuin. Ive tried the National Archives on line but can't find her medal card, but may be able to visit Kew next week. Any further help or suggestions would be much appreciated. I'm afraid I do not have the medal.

Thanks for your expertise.

John

her card is avaliable at NA

barry

Hallo Gents, :D

There is an interesting thread on the "Gentlemen's Military Interest Club" Forum with regards this medal under:

http://gmic.co.uk/index.php?showforum=164

> Kingdom of Belgium > Foreign awards to Belgians WWI, British

It is mainly concerned, with awards, as the title suggests to Belgians.

Connaught Stranger. :D

Thanks for your interest. The photo below shows the testemonial presented to Mme Baudhuin by the Lord Mayor of London, sponsord by the Daily Telegraph. We bought it at a street market in France. It was propped against a wall and we got it into a plasticbag just as the rain came pouring down. (Just lucky to save it). It is all hand scripted and includes the Cameronians badge. The colours are still very bright.

Regards

John & Kathleen

post-28333-1203131738.jpg