Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

How can I find his service number...?

Starspotter7

I would love to order my Gt Gt Uncle's RNAS and RAF service records, but I have heard that you need to know their serivce number to do this - we have searched and searched through his letters, diary and passport and can find no mention of it.

How can I find his service number, or is there a way of finding his records without knowing the number? He was Ernest C Moon and was in the RNAS from Dec 1917 and was a Kite Balloon Officer until Jun 1919, he then became an Officer in the RAF until his death in 1927. He served on HMS Eagle shortly before his death and was a member of an RAF club(?). Duncan on this site very kindly found the RNAS info for me last year.

I would really appreciate any advice on where I can find his records! As you can tell, I'm very new to this! :)

Many thanks,

Sarah

You could contact Fleet Air Arm Museum at Yeovil or try Horatio2 on this Forum. Alternatively if he was married or had children during his service, his number, rank and service may have been included on the certificate under "profession".

Edited - just seen that he was commissioned. Almost certainly FAAM can help. I am not sure what, if any records are kept form RNAS officers at Kew.

Hi Jonathan,

Many thanks for your reply, I will definately get in contact with them then! Sadly he never married or had children, he was only 29 when he died after a training accident I think.

Many thanks again for your help,

Sarah

Hi,

This looks like him.

Regards Mark

Admiralty, 22nd March, 1918.

R.N.A.S.

Tempy. Proby. Fit. Offrs. to be tempy. Fit.

Sub-Lieuts.—

Eric J. Campbell-Kirby. 15th Dec. 1917.

Lewis T. Clark.

Ernest C. Moon.

'Alexander Ross.

John E. L. England.

14th Mar. 1918.

http://www.londongazette.co.uk/ViewPDF.asp...t=&similar=

Hi Mark,

Thanks for finding that! Shame it doesn't have his service number though! Sorry if I seem a bit thick, but does it refer to a promotion? I'm not very clued up on ranks yet!

Thanks again!

Sarah

The reason you cannot find a sevice number for your RNAS officer GGU is that naval oficers did not have service numbers. If you approach the Fleet Air Arm Museum with all the detail that you have (Full names ++++) they should be able to find him. It might also help to send a PM to GWF member 'manicafan' as he has a lot of data also.

I think its is Temporary Probationary Flight Officer to Temporary Flight Sub Lieutenant which would be a promotion.

Regards Mark

I presume this is his RNAS service register: ADM 273/24/168 Page 168: Ernest Cecil Moon.

If his RAF records have been released they'll be in AIR 76.

Both are at Kew or the FAAM.

Ernest Cecil Moon is listed in the May 1921 AFL; therefore he will not have an AIR76 record. I have checked the RAF WebPages and it says his record is held by the NA but as far as I know it has not been released to the public. Never the less as a relative you could apply to RAF Disclosures Section

Room 221b

Trenchard Hall

RAF Cranwell

Sleaford

LINCS

NG34 8HB

http://www.veterans-uk.info/service_records/raf.html

john_g

Thank you all so much for your help with this. I will get in contact all of the places mentioned to see if I can track down his records.

Many thanks again,

Sarah :D