Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

WAR CABINET MEETINGS

honorfilms

I am writing a factional novel (fact and fiction) about WWI between August 1914 and February 1915. Part of my novel deals with the War Cabinet and meetings. They met at the outbreak of war on the 5th & 6th of August then not again until the War Council was appointed in November and sporadically thereafter.

Apparently they may have divided into committees (army, navy, airforce etc) and had their own meetings. Not sure.

Does anyone know what these committees were called, who attended them and what was discussed, if they even existed?

Does anyone have information about parliamentary meetings on the war, who was present and what was discussed? It may be that Parliamentary meetings were where war strategy was discussed.

I have visited the National Archives and copied minutes of the sporadic meetings of the War Cabinet, but no idea about the sub group or Parliament meetings, if they existed.

Thank you

Julian Moss

Callwell's biography of Sir Henry Wilson, mentions the various meetings that he attended and will give some feel for the atmosphere at them. A political soldier's eyeview of the political side of the war.