Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Royal Scots Fusiliers

darkisland

:unsure: How can I find out which Battalion my Grandfather served in? the only information I have is his name,rank and a stamp on the back of his marriage cetificate which is the Army Pay Office in Hamilton, Scotland. No 2 Wing and a No. 00951 which is stamped separately and the date is 12 September 1917.

Sid

p.s. I have only been on this site for two days and I am already addicted.

Welcome! The short answer, I'm afraid, is that the best way to solve the question is to visit the National Archives at Kew and see if his Service Record has survived (for which the estimate is about a 40% chance sadly). The Medal Rolls will have the answer and these do exist. Some of the medal index cards are even online at the NA website, but these are unlikely to tell you (the occasional one does).

As a long shot you could try this question on the very helpful Scots at War forum by clicking here: http://www.network54.com/Hide/Forum/6243

Good luck,

Andrew

Guest mancunian

I've been there, Sid !

My Great Grandfather was in the RSF, and trying to research a history is not easy. I vitied the Regimental Museum, Sauchihall Street Glasgow last autumn, but the recors of this period had all been destroyed in a fire caused during a break-in.

So I'm stuck as well. Keep me posted if you discover anything useful.

Stuart