Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Photograph with Nurses in Ward at Christmas

janwbay

Hello there

I have had this topic under another thread, and have received some useful information. I am hoping that someone with knowledge of nurses uniforms would be able to tell me whether these are British nurses, and whether they would be likely to be in the Military Hospital at Maryhill, Glasgow, or some other place.

We have always had this photograph which shows my grandfather (with the cross above his head) along with lots of other injured soldiers, and with ward staff and some dignitaries, at Christmas 1916, 1917, or 1918.

I always assumed that the picture was taken in France (I don't know why I thought this).

I have just recently found out that he was discharged from the Military Hospital in Maryhill, Glasgow on 27 November 1919. I now wonder if this is where this picture was taken.

At the far end of the ward, through the double doors, there is some writing on the wall, which is in English. Feedback from other forum members suggest it says Merry Xmas to Nursing Staff.

There is a shield on the wall, which may say 'peace'. If so, it is suggested that it is probably Christmas 1918, and in the UK.

Does anyone have any thoughts about the picture? Does anyone recognise the place, or anyone in the picture? Can you tell me any information about the nurses etc. They have different uniforms on, are they in Britain, could they be in France?

Thanks very much

Janice

post-29253-1202489908.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

I am flagging this thread up, so that people who missed it first time, can get a second chance.

I can't believe I have had no replies yet, when I see how many people have looked at the picture.

Fingers crossed.

Janice

Janice

The problem is that it's one of many similar photos that were taken all over the UK and France - I think there must be thousands of similar Christmas versions taken in different places.

There are three nursing sisters of either Queen Alexandra's Imperial Military Nursing Service Reserve, or the Territorial Force Nursing Service (the ones with the capes). It's very hard to distinguish the two services sometimes, and they could be a mixture of both, but I think the one at the rear on the right-hand side is more likely to be TFNS. They all did the same job. There is a VAD sitting on the bed in the centre - I bet she wouldn't normally be allowed to do that! The nurse on the very far right is interesting - again, it's difficult to see much, but her different hat suggests that she may well be a Special Military Probationer (SMP). These were employed under almost identical conditions to VADs, but instead of being answerable to the Joint War Committee, they were employed solely by the War Office to work in military hospitals. If she is an SMP, then this is much more likely to be a Territorial Force hospital.

Having said all that, I don't think it adds anything to the location. The fact of the dignitaries/visitors in the ward strongly suggests that it was taken in the United Kingdom, and not in France - they rarely appear in the latter. The room looks as though it was built as a hospital ward, and was not some other converted public building, but the actual location, like hundreds of others, is likely to remain a mystery unless you can ever match that interior with a named image.

Sue

There is something written on the middle line of the sign on the rear wall.

I can make out:

"A MERRY XMAS - ???????? - To THE NURSING STRS."

Any ideas ??

Connaught Stranger

I think some of that has been covered in Janice's previous thread on the same subject - here's the link:

Sue

Hi Sue

Thank you very much for your very comprehensive reply. Thank you for taking the time. It is really interesting.

regards

Janice

Thanks also to Connaught stranger. Perhaps I should have made my message up to date with the information I received previously - sorry.

Janice