Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Linesman Trench Map

deano

Hi all.

would any kind person be able to provide me with a contour map of the area where my G Grandfather was killed ? The start line for the attack was the sunken road by Badger copse, just north of Holnon Wood which is just west of st quentin.

the trenches they attacked were champagne, fresnoy and douia trench and bugead and american alley. they attacked north east towards Fresnoy-le-Petite, where they were forced back by a counter attack by the Germans coming from their positions at the cemetery. So the area i need is the triangle formed by Badger Copse, the junction of Douia Trench and American Alley and the cemetery at Fresnoy-le-Petite.

This would probably be the finnishing touch to my G Grandfathers research.

many thanks in advance guys

regards

Dean.

Dean

Hope this helps, map is from LinesMan.

I have 'Merged two maps together St Quentin and Gricourt to give you this view. (You can see the slightly diffeent colours)

I will post a 3D map of the are in a minute.

Cheers

Guy

And in 3D (from LinesMan)

Guy

post-12226-1202473175.jpg

post-12226-1202473211.jpg

Guy, thank you so much for that, it really gives you a feel for the terrain they crossed.

Brilliant, and thanks again.

Dean.

Hi Guy,

my apologies for doing this to you, the earlier contour map you posted on the forum was excellent!

only after checking what you sent me against the 2d trench maps i have, and an overlaid google earth map, i have discovered that im a bit out !!

would it be possible for you to do another favour for me ?

where Bugead alley, amboises trench and fresnoy trench meet, would it be possible for you to supply me with images of this junction with fresnoy-la-petite facing ? i think this junction is where my G G father was killed.

sorry to put this on you,

regards

Dean.

Dean

Here is the revised map as promised.

Cheers

Guy

post-12226-1202823784.jpg

Guy,

spot on.

much appreciated.

regards