Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Forgotten voices

john w.

Yesterday I got the Audio CD version of the book. I must say I havent red it yet, but I am now listening to the interviews etc in the car. They were taken from the IWM archives.

Has anyone else got them? I am enjoying hearing the interviews although one or two seem to be a bit fanciful, especially as they were only small at the time, yet remember a great deal.

John

Guest lemon trench

Having only read the book, I would say that memory is always subjective but that doesn't take away the immediacy and poignancy of 99% of the recollections.

I enjoyed the book, but it has to be treated with a health warning. As long as the reader is aware that it is a collection of oral history put together many years after the event, there is no problem. To rely on such material for details and facts, rather than impressions, would be risky indeed.

I expect that the audio version - featuring the actual veteran's voices - would be an excellent way to present this material. Much more intimate and less likely to mislead - putting thing in print gives some people the idea that absolutely everything included is true.

S

What price is it? Can I get it from Waterstone's ?I thought the book was superb.

Desmond7 Posted on Sun, 8 Feb 2004 20:36:25 +0000

What price is it? Can I get it from Waterstone's ?I thought the book was superb. 

You can get this from any bookshop - either individually or as a boxed set.

1856867986.jpg

Full details - http://www.randomhouse.co.uk/minisites/forgottenvoices/

Cheers -

Ryan