Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

WFA Stand To/Bulletin

Simmo

Does anyone know in which edition there was an article about the above unit? I joined in '94 so it wouldn't have been before then.

Cheers,

Simmo.

If it helps it was written by Dick Rayner and I seem to recall it being printed as special booklet for members of the Gallipoli Association....I think it was about the same time as the TV programme so around 1999???

• Admin

Issue 58 pages 5-9 (April 2000)

Cheers, Michelle

Another interesting account if you can get hold of it, by a soldier who was there, is:

Williamson, Tom. 'The Disappearance of the King's Company (Sandringham) in Gallipoli : the day the hills caught fire', Stockwell, Ilfracombe, 1979.

Bryn

little blue book scarce as hens teeth!

If it helps it was written by Dick Rayner and I seem to recall it being printed as special booklet for members of the Gallipoli Association....I think it was about the same time as the TV programme so around 1999???

This was the beginning of the end of my membership of the Gallipoli association. As I recall the article went on to debunk the BBCs millennium drama "All the Kings men" and in the process totally let pass bye all the interest that the TV program created. (God, they they were even talking about Gallipoli at work :lol: )

But what got me most is that there was no chance of reply to put any other point of view. It seemed fine that it was OK to specially reprint an article from the WFA magazine as a special supplement and send it to members whether they wanted it or not. But argue the toss. No chance ! (that's what i like about this forum :D ) "MO"

MO

Perhaps you better translate to our non Aussie Forum Pals exactly what

"argueing the toss" is.

Perhaps they are not familiar with the game of "Two Up"

Peter

• 4 weeks later...

All the King's Men was listed on Foxtel this month so I sat down with my popcorn and maltesers only to find I was watching a khaki-less deep south political thriller :huh: , so i'll have to wait a while longer. Nonetheless it was useful to read Dick Rayner's not-uncomplimentary article, and to discover the truth about what I thought was a 'lost battalion.' Coincidentally, a name on my old school memorial is ER Cubitt, Captain, 5th Battalion Norfolk Regt, kia 12/08/15, Helles Memorial. Not being named on the Sandringham Memorial, I assume there is no connection. Maybe he is one of the unknowns buried at Azmak Cemetery, a place I am looking forward to visting in a few weeks, and will pay my repects.

Simmo.