Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

fusilier cap badge experts

Muerrisch

I have been watching a thread on Fusilier cap badges. There is a lot of expertise out there.

It would be really useful if some expert with the real badges in their collection could line them up, preferably on SD colour material, and take a photograph and post it.

The shot would need to be repeated close-up and also typical 'postcard of soldier' distance.

Then to provide a decode.

Years ago I did a similar black and white job of just about every relevant medal ribbon, and most useful it was for comparison with real-life photos.

Might it be possible to also show a Grenadier Guards and HAC cap badge for comparison?

Might it be possible to also show a Grenadier Guards and HAC cap badge for comparison?

Of course I have both in all brass (but not the bimetal NCOs I am afraid).

I will try and get them photographed this evening or tomorow with natural light.

Alan

That is absolutely brilliant!

Such would be a real asset to many of us.

Could some of us cadge a better result than one posted here, because of the restrictions caused by site. limitations?

Now we need the shoulder titles too!

All Fusiliers badges together. This are all original WW1/2 badges. I have used WW1 variants where applicable and added a WW2 Royal Welch Fusiliers to show the slight difference in grenade flames compared to the WW1 Royal Welsh Fusiliers which has more splayed flames. This is a makers variation.

post-4655-1202332892.jpg

When identifying the badges you should be aware that the Munsters, Welsh, Dublins and Inniskillings were made in all brass from 1916 onwards. These all brass badges may not be so clear as the bi-metal onesas they will not have the contrast of the 2 metals.

Alan

When identifying the badges you should be aware that the Munsters, Welsh, Dublins and Inniskillings were made in all brass from 1916 onwards. These all brass badges may not be so clear as the bi-metal onesas they will not have the contrast of the 2 metals.

Alan

Super photos chaps. To my embarrassment in hindsight (I had no idea they would become rare) I wore a suitably but temporarily 'blackened' all brass economy issue RWF cap badge (spelt Welsh) in West Belfast in the mid to late 1970s. I recall being told by an old CSM (he had WW2 ribbons) that in Wrexham in the 1950s a large box of these badges was found in the cellar beneath one of the stores. Apparently the then RSM had the bright idea of issuing these badges to transgressors who were on 'jankers' for them to wear throughout the duration of their punishment. The idea was that any NCO who needed dirty work doing could identify a 'defaulter' and get him to do the job. This policy was confirmed to me by the Post NCO, 'Dai 14' who had been around at the time. Quite a number of us also wore bi-metal badges from both WW1 and WW2 (our favourites were WW1 as it was a nicer looking badge - see above) and later this was regulated when the PRI purchased a stock of JR Gaunt reproductions where the 2 parts were adjoined by 2 pegs inserted through 2 holes and then bent over. To better secure this flimsy arrangement I managed to solder quite a few of these in the REME workshops and after polishing they looked very authentic indeed. I often wonder what a pedantic historian (who has perhaps never served) might make of them one day in the distant future.

The TA regts. Only 2 are Fusiliers. The HAC and the 7th Londons are not. The Lancs Territorial is identical to the regulars except the title scroll is blank. The 25th Bn Fusiliers were a WW1 Royal Fusiliers Bn and several varities of the badge exist. They were sent to Africa for most of the war. This badge is unfortunatley an old restrike.

Alan

The 7th Bn London Regt and Lancs TA.

The HAC.

post-4655-1202379590.jpg

post-4655-1202379635.jpg

post-4655-1202379656.jpg

post-4655-1202379754.jpg

A really useful resource for anyone trying to distinguish between the myriad grenades when identifying photographs.

Now, do we have a shoulder title expert to do the same splendid job with fusilier S/Ts?

Well thought out request and superbly presented answer. Thanks all round for this.

It's nice to see that the majority of the badges illustrated have been around a bit - dutifully bulled by someone at home, until transferred to the front and advised to let them go dull, lest a sniper catch the glint.....

I've always subscribed to the belief that a pristine badge is a fake. Or a NAAFI-bought repacement. Issued badges were polished, or you were on a charge. And these illustrations have seen service.

Thanks for showing some real, genuine, proper badges that travelled across the channel, fought for truth, right and honour, and came home to reside in a shoebox for half a century.

Snippets of history......

Graeme,

Funningly enough the majority of them did sit in a shoebox in my Great Grandfathers attic for half a century until 2002 when my grandfather came across them when clearing out the house after my greatgranmother's death. The collection was 100 strong and were put together in the 1940s in Cardiff.

Alan

• 15 years later...

Hello,

I apologise in advance, as my great grandfathers photo has been shown on another topic. However, I'm specifically looking for help and advice on identifying the grenade cap badge of his regiment.

Here's three photos of different clarity.

Can anybody help identify the cap badge?

post-99831-0-83530100-1409050627.jpg

Untitled.png

Enhanced & cleaned up - The One!.jpg

• Admin

Link to previous thread. I know that to you are desperate for answers Lee, but multiple threads are confusing. I would say that Frogsmile has answered pretty comprehensively.

8 minutes ago, Michelle Young said:

Link to previous thread. I know that to you are desperate for answers Lee, but multiple threads are confusing. I would say that Frogsmile has answered pretty comprehensively.

Hello and thank you. For some reason, I only saw part of Frogsmiles reply. Now I see that there's a lot more information there. Accept my apologise for the cross thread.