Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Hospital

Doug Lewis

I'm researching a local man Norman Brindley Post Office Rifles who died at home 28/4/18 and is buried in local churchyard (Wolverhampton). Looking at BDM his death cert is registererd as Cardiff. Looking at main site the only hospital in Cardiff is 3rd Western.

The questions I have are - Was this the only hospital in Cardiff and what was it's name pre-war? If not,could anyone give me names of other hospitals in Cardiff at this time.

Would the only reason he was so far from home be because the hospitals were overwhelmed at this time and it was the only one with available space to take him?

Any help would be appreciated.

Regards Doug

Doug

The Old Cardiff City Asylum at Whitchurch became the Welsh Metropolitan War Hospital (for Mental cases).

I think (but could be wrong) that the 3rd. Western was King Edward VII Hospital.

Dave

Doug,

There are likely to have been a number of hospitals and convalescence centres in and around Cardiff all coming under the administrative control of the 3rd Western. Each will be individually named and this may (or may not) give a clue to the actual building used. In many cases schools were requisitioned and used for the duration, for example the 3rd Northern General Hospital in Sheffield was established in the City’s requisitioned Teacher Training College.

The Cardiff local archives might hold information on the City’s First World War military Hospitals and may be worth a telephone call.

Depending on what want to know, Norman Brindley’s death certificate might give some useful information. In addition to a cause of death it will show:

• Where died: If in hospital this may in addition to the hospital name show the address – useful if you want to identify the actual building.

• Occupation: Rank, no, and unit details and in many cases the serviceman’s civil occupation and sometimes his home address

• Description and residence of informant (i.e. the person registering the death): May show next of kin or relative details, if present at the death.

All this for £7 - if ordered on-line from the Office of National Statistics Web Site.

Good luck

Mark

Mark and David thanks for the information.

David,I ordered the certificate late last week so should recieve it any day now and hope it gives the exact hospital.

Regards Doug

This morning I received the death certificate of Norman Brindley.

He died due to gas shell poisoning,right lobal pneumonia. The hospital he died in was the 3rd Western General Hospital Albany Road Cardiff.

Does anyone know if this hospital still exists?

Regards Doug

• 2 weeks later...

Doug,

The 3rd Western General Hospital, in Cardiff, was situated in a number of public buildings within the city - mainly schools. Albany Road 'Hospital' is in fact a primary school in the city, and which is still there, and still used as a school.

The Welsh Metropolitan Hospital, which was based in the City of Cardiff Lunatic Asylum from 1915 to 1919, received many caualties, mainly general and orthopaedic cases until 1917, when the hospital started to receive shell-shocked and other mentally ill soldiers. By the time it closed (31st December 1919) there were approximately 50% orthopaedic and 50% mentally ill patients.

I hope this is of some help?