Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

trench names-- suvla bay--helles?

mcfc1923

are there any books etc that have trench map details which include the names of the trenches for suvla bay---Helles area?

A relative of mine has asked me to see if i can find any info for him from the forum

cheers

jim

Hi, Jim. Have you been away?

Is the relative after general information or if there something specific? The latter might be easier to solve as I'm not aware of any more general books that cover the whole sector in sufficient detail.

John

Hi John, no not been away as such, but did get married in december and now living in the lake district.

what my relative was looking for John were trench maps for gallipoli, (1915, lan fus) but trench maps that have the names of the trenches which were named by the soldiers themselves.

cheers John

jim

Glad to see she's made an honest man of you at last. :D

Drop me a PM or email with your email address. I think I can sort you out.

Always difficult to know how trenches got their names - but I reckon if you know you have a sector that the Lancs Fusiliers were in and you find one trench called Lancashire Street and the support trench called Fusilier Street, I don't think you have to be a genuis to make a connection.

John

Foor Cape Helles, there are some useful maps in Chris Pages book on Command in the RND and in Nevinson's history from just after the war. The eastern side of the peninsula was principally French so french names apply.

As for Suvla, names occur most commonly in the area around Jephson's post. The front line between there and Hill 60 is not that well recorded - particularly as regards trench names. The sector from Hill 60 south is fairly well recorded in one or two period maps, though they have not generally been published anywhere. Which particular patches are you looking for?