Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Pill box

cockney tone

well it certainly seems 'in character' for the area. The birds are obviously meant to think it's just another abandoned pillbox

cheers Martin B

Hmm, not too sure about Ornithologists, haven't noticed too many of them in the Somme / Ancre valley, but there's plenty of Duck hunters there, that's for sure.

It's far more likely to be a shooting hide than a bird watching hide.

Rob.

Hi

Its an impressive construction in NZ we make a maimai with corrugated iron and bits of wood.

Probably for bird watching pretty hard to hit a moving target through that little slot unless it was sitting on the water right in front of you.

James

Hi

Its an impressive construction in NZ we make a maimai with corrugated iron and bits of wood.

Probably for bird watching pretty hard to hit a moving target through that little slot unless it was sitting on the water right in front of you.

James

Well, with respect perhaps you don't know the Somme Valley very well..??

These Duck hides are literally everywhere, the hunters very often use permanent floating decoys to lure the birds onto the surface of the water just in front of the hide, then BOOM.

Rob.

Well, with respect perhaps you don't know the Somme Valley very well..??

These Duck hides are literally everywhere, the hunters very often use permanent floating decoys to lure the birds onto the surface of the water just in front of the hide, then BOOM.

Rob.

Fair enough.

For some reason I assumed shooting on the water would be banned like it is here. To each his own I suppose. We use the decoys duck callers etc so they fly within range but if they land they are "safe".

Next time I am there I will look out for it.

James

• 9 years later...

I’ve been trying to find out a bit about this photograph I took I believe in 1991 and came across this thread, it was taken in the village of Méaulte and obviously close to the airfield. I last drove past in 2016 and believe it is still there but completely hidden. Perhaps someone could confirm that this is Second World War and built to protect the airfield. If so my apologies for straying. Please forgive the quality it was probably taken on a Kodak Instamatic..Regards Colin

034A24A2-0EF6-4EFB-8FCB-FCC4A93589A8.jpeg

Edited by gilbo139
Spelling mistake

• Admin

This looks to me like the bunker in Festubert, not Meaulte. It gets a mention in Before Endeavours Fade.  My photo was taken in about 1988. Th bunker is still there but totally covered in foliage, you have to know it's location to spot a tiny bit of concrete. 

IMG_2034.JPG

• Admin

Found another photo 

IMG_2035.JPG

Have to agree it looks very similar but I actually don’t remember visiting Festubert,  unfortunately I’ve only got one photograph of it but I have got a copy of Before Endeavours Fade so I’ll check that out.Even the fence posts look the same however I’m still convinced it’s in Méaulte as I’ve looked out for it a number of times over the years.....thanks for your input!

• Admin

Page 68 of BEF

• Admin

The wooden shutters and the roof pitch in the Google Earth photos look very similar to the photo that gilbo posted, as does the drain cover in my photos 

And the electricity / phone cable........ha ha,I’m still hoping someone will come along and say they’ve seen the one in Méaulte!,

Michelle is correct, it is Tramways House, in Festubert. Built by 427 RE Company, of 42nd Div, as a shelter on the Barnton Tramway, and used by 55th Division on their stand there.

Certainly not Meaulte.

Peter

Yes , I have to agree, I’ve had that photo a long time and convinced myself it was Meaulte, but after seeing Michelle’s post I agree it has to be Festubert. I do remember visiting a particular grave in Richeburg  in the late eighties or early 90s so I can only assume I passed that bunker , photographed it and have recently resurrected it and mistaken it for  one that I am sure is in Meaulte but is probably later vintage  , Thanks all for jogging my memory! 

On 04/09/2020 at 14:42, 14276265 said:

The well-camouflaged Festubert bunker as of July 2019. Totally hidden.

Images from Google.

831201956_Festubertbunker_1.jpg.3bbb6ca9a42b1f6f43a8ce7e463c6b79.jpg83630258_Festubertbunker_2.jpg.7c547b80e412a313a02bb015d0f7ee62.jpg

The home owners obviously don’t want the likes of us poking around in their front garden by the looks of that hedge.

• 2 months later...

Further to my September post and being rightly corrected on what I thought was a picture of a concrete emplacement in Meaulte I’ve had a sort through some old photographs and have now found the photos I was referring too......definitely looks later vintage than 14/18 but also now so well hidden you would drive straight past. Apologise for the quality but they’re old 35 mm snaps 

AF2199FA-8328-4F3D-9CAA-38040EE2DA99.jpeg

67E688B7-F61C-4166-9951-931D17641459.jpeg