Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Scott's House Camp

Tunsilk

Scott's House Camp East Boldon Near Sunderland has turned up a number times in my research. Has anybody any background info on it use in the Great war. Its gone now but Scotts House itself remains.

David

David,

Scotts House Camp was the base of the 3rd(Res)Bn, Northumberland Fusiliers who moved there shortly after mobilization and also the home of the NF Depot training Companies. Although the camp has gone the farm(?) around which it was located still remains to this day.

Graham.

Scott's House is still there and some time ago the house was split up into flats and I believe other dwellings were built in the grounds. It stands on the main road between Sunderland and Newcastle just west of East and West Boldon. The road was numbered the A184 but now is the A1 because it is a short link from the end of the A1 (M) to the Tyne Tunnel. In the 8th.DLI History (Page 11) it mentions that the Bn. moved there on Sept.1st 1914 and stayed there for three weeks. I think I still have a foolscap book with details of visits made to many camps in the area by a team of inspecting officers and Scott's House was one of them. I will look for it but do not hold your breath!! As a matter of interest my log in name 'Fairhaven' is from the house I used to live at in East Boldon

Andrew

Gentlemen

Thanks for the information I have seen the house as it is today. I am wondering if other regiments used the camp. My grandfather was a Sherwood Forester and was from Derby. He married my grandmother who was from Sunderland and his friend from Derby did copied that with his wife.

David

I have been in the loft and found the book I mentioned the other day. It is Army book 129 and it looks as though they printed 150,000 of them in 1917. The book does not have any entries prior to Jan. 1918 so it may be a bit late in the war for your purposes. The first entry I can find for the 4th Sherwood For. is when they are at Hylton Castle ( not very far from Scotts Ho.) Dated about the end of March it reads 'New live and dummy ground just completed. Quite good. Store good. Training wants improving.

This is the last entry before the writer changes. The first writer is very difficult to read and I'm used to reading letters of this period. The next chap is better but he writes in a very cramped hand. As I have never had any reason to study this book before you must bear with me!

These officers are obviously visiting many camps in the area and commenting on the standard of training, the ranges, bombing areas etc. The places are numerous-Blue Bell Pit, Backworth,Alnwick etc.

On the 15th March they again visit the 4th Sherwood For. at Hylton Castle. I'll do my best to decipher!!

B Bombing Officer Lt. Wills Assistant Lt. Cartwright. Dummy from in field west of castle.appliances not quite to standard size but all substantially built and in good order.

It goes on for another seven lines but it is difficult to read. If you are willing to send me your address I will photocopy all the entries I can find for the S.F and you can have a go at translating your self. I think that the men would be billeted at Scotts Ho. and go to Hylton Castle for training

Andrew