Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

XXXI Brigade R.F.A, 28th Division

Tim1915

Please can anyone help me with research regarding two matters?

Firstly I want to find the P.R.O. documents detailing the Trench Map references of the different locations the Brigade was sent to in 1915.

I have the War Diary for the period, but it rarely gives the Trench Map reference itself.

The Brigade was ordered to 15 different locations between January and October 1915, but the reference in the diary is just "Battery Position, Kemmel" etc, no specific reference.

Secondly I wish to trace certain places mentioned in the War Diary that I have not found so far.

These are:

Hills 39 and 59, Trenches 14, 18, 20 - 23 (near St Eloi), 37, 67, A, B, D2, D3, E F6, G, H, J to L, and VERIORHOEK.

Many thanks.

Tim

I suspect that VERIORHOEK is VERLORENHOEK ( between Ypres and Frezenberg ). H and J to L may be shown on the map. It is part of the 83rd Brigade (28th Div) front opposite Petit Bois.

post-4-1075506756.jpg

For the 2nd Ypres period, Apr - May 1915, there is a selection of diaries and sketches for the 28th Division at:

http://www.archives.ca/02/02015202_e.html

which may help. For example, the positions of the 31st Bde RFA (HQ) are Frezenberg on 22.4.15, 84 Bde HQ (presumably as on the attached sketch) on 24.4.15, and D.25.b.5.2 from 29.4.15 to 1.5.15.

There is also a narative with the CRA HQ of 28 Div giving to-ings and fro-ings of various batteries.

Of course, you may already have this information.

post-4-1075523545.jpg

Thank you both very much for taking the time to reply.

I did wonder whether anyone would be able to shed some light on the matter, but the speed and quality of your replies have left me somewhat overwhelmed.

If only I had learnt of this forum before.

Regards,

Tim