Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

55th Division 31st July

Mark Hone

I am beginning to research 55th Division's attack on 31st July in preparation for a 'staff ride' on a future battlefields tour. I am especially interested in 2/5th Lancashire Fusiliers, whose ranks included several Bury Grammar School pupils and many other locals as well as the redoubtable Lt. Col. Bertram Best Dunkley. I have already come across a number of first-hand accounts which I can use at the various proposed 'stands' on the walk but I wonder if Forum users know of any others from the Division. An officer of 2/5th is quoted at length in 'The Hazy Red Hell' by Tom Donovan, while a member of the Liverpool Irish, who acted as 'moppers-up' for 2/5, is featured in 'Salient Points Two' . This battle also sees the winning of VC number 2 by Noel Chevasse.

Didn't Tony Spagnoly cover the story of an officer of this divsion in one of his Salient Points books? Material he also used for an article in an early ST! I also seem to remember?

I suspect you already have the divisional history for this and its map?

Guest Michael Orr

Dear Mark,

As it happens I did a battlefield tour of 55th Division on 31 July 1917 on the weekend before last & have the 2/5th Lancashire Fusiliers' report & some personal accounts from other units. Have you seen "At Ypres with Best-Dunkley" by Thomas Hope Floyd, which provides a very vivid portrait of the man himself.

I suggest you e-mail me directly with a phone number and we can discuss how best to get stuff to you.

Michael Orr (m.j.orr@ntlworld)

Mark

Don't forget that 55 Div won a third VC in this action - Lance Sergeant Tom Mayson of 1st/4th King's Own Lancaster Regt. In fact, all three of the Div's VC recommendations were upheld, as were the majority of its recommendations for lesser awards, an indication of how well it performed.

Charles M

Thank you so much for your replies. I haven't got a copy of the 55th Divisional History, Paul, but I shall track one down. The Division seems to have suffered very heavy casualties in the artillery duel before 31st July-including former Bury Grammar School Captain John Hartington MC. Was this typical of assault formations before the battle? At least one battalion of 55th went in with only 450 effectives.

Edited by Mark Hone

Mark,

Complete refrence of divisional story is: "The Story of the 55th Division 1916-1919" by The Rev. JO Coop, D.S.O., T.D., Chaplain to the Forces First Class edited in 1919 in Liverpool by 'Dailey Post' Printers. About 6 pages are about 31/7 with one good map.

Best wishes

Jacky

• 15 years later...

There is a new book due out in mid March from Helion called "Lessons From The Mud: 55th (West Lancashire) Division at the Third Battle of Ypres" by Paul Knight that should hopefully be of interest.
Regards

Steve

My first two volumes of 'The Lion and the Rose' (1/4th and 1/5th King's Own) make extensive use of the 'after battle reports' submitted to Jeudwine by officers and NCOs, as well as a number of personal accounts, likewise the 'Liverpool Rifles' due out later this year.

16 hours ago, 6th Border said:

There is a new book due out in mid March from Helion called "Lessons From The Mud: 55th (West Lancashire) Division at the Third Battle of Ypres" by Paul Knight that should hopefully be of interest.
Regards

Steve

Thanks for this info, Steve.  I had a couple of relatives serving in the 55th Division, including a MM recipient who served with the 1/3rd West Lancs Field Ambulance.  Some 8 members of that unit from my hometown were awarded MMs for their actions in the period 31 July to 4 August 1917.

On ‎2‎/‎13‎/‎2018 at 03:25, 6th Border said:

Regards

Steve

A well-known online retailer has the release date as 2 June.  Really, REALLY looking forward to this book having now found 3 relatives who were serving with the 55th Division at 3rd Ypres. 

• 4 weeks later...

Sounds like the June date is more realistic as Helion have deferred the release date to 15th March.

However 

FROM DOCKS AND SAND SOUTHPORT AND BOOTLE’S BATTALION, THE 7TH KING’S LIVERPOOL REGIMENT, IN THE FIRST WORLD WAR by Adrian Gregson, has just been re-released by Helion - which should soften the disappointment.

Regards

Steve

Edited by 6th Border
misspelling

Did you know a copy of the Divisional Records was donated to Liverpool Library by Major- General Jeudwine in the early 1920's?

It is available for public access.

V/R

Wayne

32 minutes ago, wmfinch said:

Did you know a copy of the Divisional Records was donated to Liverpool Library by Major- General Jeudwine in the early 1920's?

It is available for public access.

V/R

Wayne

Hi Wayne,

Yes, I'm aware.  Unfortunately, it's a bit of a long commute from where live.  I'm hoping to have a family member visit Liverpool Library on my behalf but they're getting on in years and aren't too savvy on accessing historic archives or photographing them....so I'm a bit nervous that they won't find everything that I might find if I could get there in person.

Cheers,
Mark

On 2/14/2018 at 00:30, Buffnut453 said:

Thanks for this info, Steve.  I had a couple of relatives serving in the 55th Division, including a MM recipient who served with the 1/3rd West Lancs Field Ambulance.  Some 8 members of that unit from my hometown were awarded MMs for their actions in the period 31 July to 4 August 1917.

If you want any look-ups from the Jeudwine papers (Recommendations and Awards), let me know.

Ken

• 1 month later...

Seems like the release date for "Lessons from the Mud" has slipped again.  A well-known online store is now listing availability from 2 August 2018.  :-(

• 1 month later...

And another slip...now it's 2 Nov according to a well-known online retailer.

• 4 years later...
On 28/10/2002 at 06:22, Mark Hone said:

I am beginning to research 55th Division's attack on 31st July in preparation for a 'staff ride' on a future battlefields tour. I am especially interested in 2/5th Lancashire Fusiliers, whose ranks included several Bury Grammar School pupils and many other locals as well as the redoubtable Lt. Col. Bertram Best Dunkley. I have already come across a number of first-hand accounts which I can use at the various proposed 'stands' on the walk but I wonder if Forum users know of any others from the Division. An officer of 2/5th is quoted at length in 'The Hazy Red Hell' by Tom Donovan, while a member of the Liverpool Irish, who acted as 'moppers-up' for 2/5, is featured in 'Salient Points Two' . This battle also sees the winning of VC number 2 by Noel Chevasse.

Just found out my Great Uncle Harry Thompson (2/5 Lancs Fus) died in the 31 July attack. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 17/03/2018 at 20:34, Buffnut453 said:

Hi Wayne,

Yes, I'm aware.  Unfortunately, it's a bit of a long commute from where live.  I'm hoping to have a family member visit Liverpool Library on my behalf but they're getting on in years and aren't too savvy on accessing historic archives or photographing them....so I'm a bit nervous that they won't find everything that I might find if I could get there in person.

Cheers,
Mark

It gets a bit complicated as you have to ask for specific folders in advance.  My suggestion would be to telephone them for advice and not just turn up.  Once there, they will have the folders ready and they are a great source of info.  Even found my own Grandfathers medal recommendations! I travelled from Cheltenham twice and met my friend and fellow researcher at the Library which is an easy walk from the railway station.  Good luck 👍