Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

RFC medal index card

Hi Everone,

I am right in thinking that the MIC's for the RFC and the RAF are NOT included in the National Archive's online indexes for Campaign medals?

I am looking [in particular] for my G. Grandad's, his name was Edward August Lundström service no; 41019 who was in the RFC and then from April 1918 the RAF. He was a 3rd A.M.

He enlisted in Liverpool into the army reserve class B on 12.5.1916 served 76 days in the reserve and then transferred to the RFC as a 3rd A.M service no; 41019. He was invalided out of the RAF on 19.12.18.

I have no idea what Squadron,corp or whatever he served in or for that matter where he served???

As the family story goes he was victim to a gas attack, I do know he was in a military hospital but have no further info. I would love to find out where he was during the Great War.

Unfortunately he never really recovered from what happened to him and suffered from terrible respiratory condition until his death in 1939 age 44.

However HE did come home....unlike so many others.

Most RAF MiC are not online{though some are mostly RFC men transferred/discharged prior to April 1918},details of Campaign Medals are usually recorded on the Airman's Record Sheets~which are available in most circumstances @ the NA not online however.The 1918 Muster Roll is also available & covers most numbers of Men serving in 1918 on formation of the RAF

Welcome to the forum

His RAF service records should be in AIR 79/388 (numbers 40993 - 41100, they are stored in service number order) these are original documents, not online. It is possible to request them using the shop online feature of the National Archives web site.

All part of the service. These records are only 2 pages long, and also they no longer copy them over the counter, but of course if you go you can see if the information is worth the copy fee. It will give detailed information fron 1 April 1918 when the RAF came into being, information before that date varies enormously. As you have the RAF number it is much easier to find!

Hi again,

I have requested the records from the NA, I'm just hoping they have Edwards squadron or whatever on them so I can find out where Ed was injured. Fingers crossed anyway, I'll be glad of any info they can give me.

Thanks Ruth