Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

52 Sqd Royal Flying Corps

windebrowe

Hi,

Could anybody tell me where I could find out more about this casualty and 52 Sqd, any information would be helpful

Steve

CHARLES PEARS age 19 2nd Lt 52 Sqd Royal Flying Corps 23th Nov 1917

Son of Joseph Henry and Laura L. Pears, of 20, Southey St., Keswick, Cumberland.

post-30480-1201285448.jpg

Hi Steve

I would recommend contacting the RAF Museum in London. They hold casualty cards for those killed whilst serving with the RFC and RAF.

I just received photocopies of three casualty cards for men I am interested in. Each card has the following heading:

Date report received

Date of casualty

Where occurred

Type of Machine

Nature and cause of accident

Result of accident

Name of other occupant of machine

Remarks

The information for each of the men I asked for varied but I did find out some interesting stuff.

I would suggest you contact them with as much information as possible about your man. The e-mail address I used was:

research@rafmuseum.org

It took roughly a month for the reply to come through by post but it was well worth the wait.

Regards

LIT

Steve

2Lt C M Pears (pilot) and 2Lt William Henry Harston (observer, formerly 7th Bn, Northamptonshire Regiment) of No 52 Sqn RFC were killed in an accident while flying in RE 8 A3546 on 23 November 1917. No 52 Sqn was based at Bray-Dunes aerodrome at the time.

I hope that this is useful.

Gareth

Thanks Gareth,

This certainly is useful, what a pity, to die accidentally in a war seems even more of a waste.

Steve

PEARS and HARSTON are buried at Zuidcoote Military Cemetery

Regards,

Cnock

post-7723-1201349012.jpg

A3546 7.5.17 Coventry 7 May 1917 allotted to Expeditionary Force andF Vickers to be fitted. 52 Sqn and wrecked 23 November 1917 - 2Lt C.M.Pears & 2Lt W.H.Harston on Artobs, Front Lines - the a/c collided with A4273 & crashed, crew killed. To be struck off 52 Sqn & RFC in the field.

A4273 En-route in packing case Austins to Expeditionary Force via Newhaven/Rouen 3 May 1917. 52 Sqn and wrecked 23 November 1917 - Lt C.H.M.Platt & 2Lt G. J.Cooke on Artobs, Front Lines - the a/c collided in the air with A3546, crew killed. To be struck off 52 Sqn & RFC in the field.

Hi Steve,

No problem You use the pick of Zuydcoote cem.

I took pics of almost all airmen at the cemetery, but seems I missed PEARS.

Regards,

Cnock