Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

1/Norfolks 1916-1917

Guest KELLYBROD

Guest KELLYBROD

Ok people are probably getting fed up with my constant barrage of 1/Norfolks questions, sorry.

Anyway, I was just interested to know if any one else had reatives that served with this battalion or had research interests that involved the 1st Norfolks or the fifth division .

regards

Kelly

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Kelly,

Yes, there is another one out there!

My great-uncle was William Blackburn Easton, a Norfolk boy from the village of Neatishead. He enlisted into the 2/6th (Cyclists) Bn in September 1914. This was a Territorial battalion, which spent the war on coastal defence duties.

In July 1916 he was one of a draft from the battalion which was sent out to the BEF, probably as reinforcements for Somme casualties. He joined the 1st Bn and was employed as a stretcher-bearer. Wounded in action, probably in the attack on Falfemont Farm near Guillemont on 4/5 September 1916. He died at a Base Hospital on 24 September and is buried at St Sever Cemetery, Rouen, France, aged 26 years.

I have his medals, memorial plaque and scroll etc. Also a copy of his service record survived at the National Archives, which was a stroke of good luck. My father and I visited the area of Falfemont Farm in September 1986 and laid flowers on his grave on the 70th anniversary of his death.

Probably not much of this is of use to you, but the 'lesson' if there is one, is that each soldier's experience was individual and you just have to hope that you are lucky and find documents / records/ obituaries etc which fill out the 'missing bits.'

Kind regards,

Geoff

Geoff

Sorry, that link stops short so you will have to enter the keyword: 'Blackburn Easton' which should get you there!

Thanks Chris,

No, I hadn't found this site before. It will be very useful for other genealogy based research I'm doing judging by the brief 'play' I've had on it!

The photo of WBE is one I already have. I've no idea who gave the Library Service a copy but its lovely to see him there.

Geoff

• 3 weeks later...

Dear Geoff

Thanks for sharing your story. I have since gotten hold of the information contained in my great grandfathers war records and have found out that he also enlisted in the 6th cyclists battalion Norfolk Regt. He enlisted in Norwich. So now I have a nother lead to help me find out more about him.

Kelly

• 2 weeks later...

Kelly,

My interest in the 1st Norfolks is that three Old Boys from Thetford Grammar School in Norfolk died whilst serving with the battalion. I am trying to find out as much as possible about them in order to give my pupils a good idea of what happened to the names on the school war memorial.

The Old Boys concerned are:

SURNAME: Ashfield

C/NAMES: Ernest B.

DOB:20/7/91

UNIT: 1st Bn., Norfolk Regiment

DATE OF DEATH: 23/4/17

AGE AT DEATH: 25

NUMBER: 29505

MEMORIAL: Arras Memorial, Pas de Calais, France

SURNAME: Claxton

C/NAMES: Frederick

DOB: 3/7/93

UNIT: 1st Battalion, Norfolk Regiment

DATE OF DEATH: 4/09/16

AGE AT DEATH: 23

NUMBER: 24201

MEMORIAL: Thiepval, Somme, France

SURNAME: Wilson

C/NAMES: Gavain C.C.

DOB: 3/97

UNIT: 1ST Bn. Norfolk Regiment

DATE OF DEATH: 4/9/16

AGE AT DEATH: 19

MEMORIAL: Thiepval Memorial, Somme, France

Regards,

David

David,

I have a fair amount of information on the attack at Falfemont Farm, 4/5 Sept 1916, when Claxton and Wilson were killed:

Copy of the battalion War Diary / maps / photos of the area in 1986.

If it is any use to you, send me your address off-forum and I'll copy and post it to you.

Regards,

Geoff

Dear Kelly.

My Grandfather Frank Graver from Norwich was Clr Sgt Company Quarter Master Sergeant with the 1 st Battalion Norfolk Regiment when he was awarded the DCM during operations near Cambrai in September 1918.

( People from this excellent web site supplied this information )

As far as I know Frank served with the Battalion from 1914 and survived the war only to die having a tooth out in 1937, he is buried in Earlam cemetery Norwich, where his head stone bears the Norfolk Regiment badge.

I have spent some time trying to find more information regarding movement and battles involving the 1st Norfolks and would appreciate any help on this subject.

Ray.

It is interesting to read about all your links to the 1st Norfolks. I have spent a bit of time researching there early movements, i.e. up to the the start of 1915. There was an article in the Norfolk magazine a few years back that I have some where which was regarding the 1st Norfolks and the Christmas Truce. They were, as you probably all know anyway, just down the line from where the cartoonist Bruce Bairnsfather was at the time of the truce. Early in the war the were involved in the retreat from Mons where they acted as the rearguard with the Cheshires for the remainder of the retreating regiments. The Cheshires were wiped out to all intent and purpose but the Norfolks lived to fight another day and indeed were involved in the all important Le Cateau and the Aisne and Marne battles. Then of course the 1st Ypres. So they were pretty busy and deserved the small few hours rest they got that Christmas.

I represented the 1st Norfolks a few years ago with the Khaki Chums when we commemorated the 85th Anniversary of the Truce at Plugstreet. There is a site on Tom Morgan's Hellfire corner Website with some photos of me in the Nofolks uniform should it interest any of you.

All the best for now,

Tim

I am interested in Private William Porter who I believe (according to the Soldiers Died CD) was the first man of the 1st Bn to die on active service (22 August 1914).

Adrian

• 2 weeks later...

Obviously did something wrong as my reply about 1st Bn Norfolks ended up attached to Topic - What happened at Sebourg 1918 (Sherwood Foresters Notts & Derby 9th Bn). If anyone fancies a slight diversion to it and can help - cheers.

Bob

Hi Kelly,

I have something of interest, its a post card of Amiens from Pte 3/10824 Jack Coubon Bunn 16 Platoon D Coy 1st Norfolks dated the 6th December 1915. Any idea where the 1st btn was then, Amiens maybe??? The postcard doesn`t really say a great deal except to request that his mother Mrs P Coubon Bunn of 72 Newmarket Street, Norwich: send him an undervest....it must have been cold in the trenches in December 1915. Jack went on to be an Officer in the South Staffs Regt, that is as far as I`ve got really. I intend to dig a bit deeper, maybe we can help each other out with information. Drop me a line if your interested.

Gordon.

post-2-1080668683.gif

One of my mot puzzling research subjects is a 1/5th Norfolk man, who died of wounds in August 1918, at a time and place that seems not to make any sense. He appears to have died in enemy hands, as a prisoner…BUT I have no idea how to substantiate this!

Any comments or thoughts welcome.

240204 Drummer William Walter AMIS 1st/5th Bn. Norfolk Regt. Died (of wounds?) 18th August 1918. Buried at BAGHDAD (NORTH GATE) WAR CEMETERY.

Guest Pete Wood
One of my mot puzzling research subjects is a 1/5th Norfolk man, who died of wounds in August 1918, at a time and place that seems not to make any sense. He appears to have died in enemy hands, as a prisoner…BUT I have no idea how to substantiate this!

Any comments or thoughts welcome.

240204 Drummer William Walter AMIS 1st/5th Bn. Norfolk Regt. Died (of wounds?) 18th August 1918. Buried at BAGHDAD (NORTH GATE) WAR CEMETERY.

David, following a conversation with Terry Denham on Saturday, I think there may be a way of finding out if Amis was a PoW.

If I recall, the PoWs were buried at Baghdad (North Gate) War Cemetery, after the war.

I think I'm right in saying that if you contact the CWGC, it should have (in this man's file) the paperwork which says if his grave was moved from elsewhere.

I'm going to email Terry to make sure I've got this right.

If this is the case, and the CWGC can confirm if this was a later burial, at least it will narrow down your search on the circumstances behind this man's death.

Guest Pete Wood

David, I don't want to get you too excited - but if you look at John Hartley Angus, who is buried very close to Amis (XXI. U. 7), it seems to support the theory that Amuis may well have been a PoW.

Angus was an Aussie. If you look at the roll of honour for Angus it says he died as a PoW.

Now look at The Red Cross record for Angus and it says he was interned at Yarbachi and died at Nidga hospital. Angus was then buried in Kaya Eachi Cemetery.

He was then obviously moved by the IWGC and, I am guessing here, so too was Amis and also the chap next to him:

Name: ADAMS

Initials: G

Nationality: United Kingdom

Regiment: Norfolk Regiment

Unit Text: 1st/4th Bn.

Date of Death: 26/02/1918

Service No: 200879

Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead

Grave/Memorial Reference: XXI. U. 8.

Cemetery: BAGHDAD (NORTH GATE) WAR CEMETERY

I admit it is circumstantial evidence, but hopefully Terry will be able to confirm if the two Norfolk men were also buried in Kaya Eachi. If so.... :D

David

RTPots is advising you correctly.

CWGC do retain the majority of the original burial returns which will give the location from where a concentrated burial was gathered.

Contact them on casualtyenq@cwgc.org and ask if they can give you any indication of his original burial place - either a cemetery or map ref for an isolated grave. As RT says, this will at least give you some idea of his place of death.

This man has no personal details in his database entry meaning that his n-o-k did not return a Final Verification Form. It is unlikely therefore that CWGC will hold any correspondence on this individual.

RT's idea could be possible although all the men may have come from separate cemeteries and ended up buried next/near each other by chance.

David

RTPots is advising you correctly.

CWGC do retain the majority of the original burial returns which will give the location from where a concentrated burial was gathered.

Contact them on casualtyenq@cwgc.org and ask if they can give you any indication of his original burial place - either a cemetery or map ref for an isolated grave. As RT says, this will at least give you some idea of his place of death.

This man has no personal details in his database entry meaning that his n-o-k did not return a Final Verification Form. It is unlikely therefore that CWGC will hold any correspondence on this individual.

RT's idea could be possible although all the men may have come from separate cemeteries and ended up buried next/near each other by chance.

Thanks Pete, and Terry:

I am now more then ever convinced this man was a prisoner of the Turks. Is there not a nominal roll of British soldiers taken prisoner in the Great War? I always wondered if he was taken at Gallipoli; one of the 'vanished' battalion of 1/5th Norfolks? That would be great.

Your thoughts and suggestions are very good, I will be e-mailing the CWGC in the hopes they might know something!

Best wishes

David

• 3 weeks later...
Guest KELLYBROD

This is a message for David Seymour

Dear David

I haven't been on this forum for a while so sorry for not replying sooner. With regard to the old boys you mentioned of particular interest is Ernest Ashfield, he died on the same date as my great grandfather and with help from many other kind forum members I have been able to piece together where he probably was on the day he died. On 23rd April 1917 the 1/Norfolks were in involved in an offensive on La Coulotte in the Arras sector which is towards Lens. If you search for La Coulotte you will find the postings I received with maps and all the battle info. It is highly likely that Ernest would also have been involved at Vimy earlier that month. Hope this helps to put flesh on the bones.

Regards

Kelly

Kelly

Not a direct Norfolk connection but my interest lies with the 5th Div until early 1916. I have ancestors in the Vics and DWRs who were in the 5th Div. I have the Divisional History - anything you want me to look for?

Regards

Andy

Drummer Amis was not taken prisoner during the Gallipoli campaign. It is more likely from the battle of Gaza in 1917 that he was interned as a POW.

All the best,

Tim

• 1 year later...

Hi Kelly

There are obviously one or two of us around. My interest in 1st Bn Norfolks is from three different directions. Firstly through one of my Great Uncles, John (Johnny) Bean 14014 Private 1st Bn Norfolks KIA 31/5/15, secondly via my main research on Norfolk Post Office staff who served or were lost during the war, and thirdly as I am interested in the Great War anyway so naturally gravitate toward the doings of my local regiment.

In the case of my Great Uncle who was born near Coltishall Norfolk (I was also born in Coltishall) it appears that he was killed whilst the Bn were resting at a farm at Verbrandenmolen opposite Hill 60 south of Ypres.

I have to assume that it was a shell / sniper, unless the date of his reported death is out by a day or two (not unusual). Incidentally his two other brothers were also killed, one in the MGC on 1/7/16 and who was previously in the Norfolks, and the other who was in the 7th Norfolks KIA 12/10/16.

My Post Office research has thrown up 6 x 1st Bn casualties so far and a spin off contact with a lady who is researching her local memorial at Bunwell Norfolk has thrown up a couple more 1st Bn casualties. If you want the names etc I will happily collate and send to you. I worked for Royal Mail for 30 + years hence my interest.

Why have you an interest in our good old Norfolk boys ?

Regards Bob A

Hi Kellybrod

My interest in 1st Norfolks comes from researching the war dead of Old Buckenham in the wonderful county of Norfolk.

Edward Lincoln (3/7737) was killed on 4th June 1916 in a German trench raid. Three mines were exploded beneath their trench after a three hour bombardment. In the subsequent attack the Norfolk's defensive fire was supported by artillery and the attack failed, no German reaching the firing line. However, 21 Norfolks were killed, 25 wounded and 19 missing. Edward Lincoln is commemorated on the Arras memorial.

The battalion's attack om Falfemont Farm has been mentioned before on this thread. My second casualty met his end there. Cpl William Hilton (9264) enlisted into 9th Norfolks and received a GSW to the head on 14th October 1915 (aftermath of Loos?). Upon recovery he was drafted to the 1st battalion and was caught up in the tragedy of Falfemont. The attack was held up and casualties were being caused by bombing and small arms fire before they eventually took the objective only to come under friendly artillery fire that caused serious casualties. According to the Regimental casualty book 56 all ranks were killed, 219 wounded and 94 missing, believed killed, a total of 369. The battalion was relieved the next day. He lies in London Cemetery, Longueval.

Greg