Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

WW1 RAF airman, how did he die?

medals1976

Hi members, I have recently picked up a single medal named to 147323 3.A.M W.J Watkins R.A.F. He is listed on the CWGC as died post WW1 in Egypt. I have not researched him but am guessing he died of influenza. Do any members have any information about him? Anything would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Mike.

Mike,

Given that he died post war and in Egypt there will be little information in the references. You could try researching his details as the National Archives at Kew

Alternatively if you know which squadron he served with, the individual unit histories may give you some information. I have a feeling it won't be all that easy, sorry.

Darryl

I believe he served in 270 Squadron in Egypt but that is all I know.

Mike,

270 wasn't formed until April 1919 at Alexandria. It was merged into 269 on 15th Sept 1919 and that merged sqn was absorbed into 267 on 15th Nov 1919.

Sorry I don't have that unit history but if he was in 270 when he died at least it narrows the time period you need to search.

cheers

Darryl

Thanks Darryl, i will try and get his papers if they are available and see if I can gather any information.

thanks,

Mike.