Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Sandhutton/Claxton Memorial

BottsGreys

I found this photo pc recently and thought it might be of interest to any Pals who may be cataloging memorials. It is inscribed, "Remember Those From Sandhutton and Claxton Who Died For Their Country, 1914-1919." It has a vertical carved sword on the panels on either side of the inscription. I was able to find that Sandhutton is in Yorkshire, but have been unable to locate Claxton. I suppose the two are close by each other? Is anyone familiar with this monument and its appearance today?

Chris

post-19-1075351408.jpg

Chris,

Sandhutton is near Thirsk in North Yorkshire. It isn't too far away from where I live

but I'm only home for the weekend and there is a lot to pack in before I travel back to work on Sunday.

I'll see what I can find. I've never heard of Claxton so it must be a very small place, probably just a few houses.

Roger.

There are two Sand Huttons in Yorkshire,one already listed near Thirsk and the one associated with this memorial and near to Claxton.

This Sand Hutton is a 'stones throw' across the fields from, and south of Claxton.These two villages are small enough to be termed hamlets. This area to the north and north east of York was a recruiting area for the Yorkshire Regiment.

Regards

Frank East

Frank,

That'll explain why I've never heard of a place called Claxton near Thirsk.

Roger.

Frank:

Thanks for the information. This area is still pretty rural then. From the photo, it appears that the memorial is out in the countryside, or at the edge of a village.

Chris

• 1 year later...

Hi,

I wonder if anyone who lives near this memorial can let me know if there is an entry for Arthur William Hall (my gt grandfather) who was from Sandhutton but was living in Winston nr Barnard Castle when he enlisted.

He was with the 10th West Yorks Regiment and died of wounds 29/07/1915, the first in his regiment!

Regards,

Steve

• 18 years later...

Sand Hutton near york is Sand Hutton, GS4 as you have written it that is the SH near Thirsk

On 30/01/2004 at 18:45, Frank_East said:

There are two Sand Huttons in Yorkshire,one already listed near Thirsk and the one associated with this memorial and near to Claxton.

This Sand Hutton is a 'stones throw' across the fields from, and south of Claxton.These two villages are small enough to be termed hamlets. This area to the north and north east of York was a recruiting area for the Yorkshire Regiment.

Regards

Frank East

Do you know the WW1 claim made about Sand Hutton??

On 14/11/2005 at 19:36, Guest sward4 said:

Hi,

I wonder if anyone who lives near this memorial can let me know if there is an entry for Arthur William Hall (my gt grandfather) who was from Sandhutton but was living in Winston nr Barnard Castle when he enlisted.

He was with the 10th West Yorks Regiment and died of wounds 29/07/1915, the first in his regiment!

Regards,

Steve

IMG_5833.jpeg

• Admin

sward4 is no longer a member here as denoted by Guest, and won’t see your comment. 

There are two Yorkshire Regiment War Memorials, one at Sandhutton near Thirsk within St Leonards Churchyard. This Sandhutton is also listed as Sand Hutton in the Johnson and Bacon Road Atlas of 1960.It  lies to west of Thirsk on the Topcliffe to Northallerton road A167.

To the south just off and to the east of the A64 York to Malton road lies two hamlets within the Bossall parish, namely Claxton to the north and Sand Hutton to the south, The memorial is on the road from Sand Hutton to Claxton at the junction of the road to Bossall Lodge,

The Yorkshire Regiment, Local War Memorials (ww1-yorkshires.org.uk) gives good coverage of Yorkshire war memorials...courtesy Colin Hinson

I would add that Bill Heath is credited with the photographs.

Edited by Frank_East

On 26/03/2024 at 20:54, David Free said:

Do you know the WW1 claim made about Sand Hutton??

David what does this claim refer to. I'm assuming that it is the Sandhutton/Sand Hutton (Thirsk) location.

On 14/11/2005 at 19:36, Guest sward4 said:

Hi,

Regards,

Steve

No Sand Hutton york